Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too many Processes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevoriole

kevoriole

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

Even when Idle. There's something running in the background and my Dell Vostro Windows 7 Pro is flashing hard drive light like xmas! How do I troubleshoot this and is it all those svchosts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

Use Process Explorer to provide an overview of your running processes.

• Download the .zip file and extract to a folder on your desktop. Run program.
  • For Vista/7: Click File > Show Details for All Processes.
  • Click View > Select Columns and check the Command Line box. Click OK.
  • If necessary, continue to use the computer until it displays the undesirable behaviour (lagging, freezes, questionable process, etc). When this happens, immediately switch back to Process Explorer and press the Space Bar to pause updates.
  • Click File > Save As.... Save to your desktop as procexp.txt.
  • Attach (do not copy & paste) procexp.txt to your next reply. Use the forum's "Full Editor" to attach files.
Note: Do not unpause or exit Process Explorer unless directed to.
==========================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 18 January 2012 - 01:15 AM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 kevoriole

kevoriole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

I have followed your directions exactly. Here is the file. Thank you so much for your help! Tech is my hobby along with being a smartphone flashaholic! LOL

Attached Files

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

• In Process Explorer, click View > Select Columns. In the Process Disk tab, check the Reads, Writes, and Other boxes. Click OK.
  • Allow a minute to pass.
  • Click View > System Information. This will bring up a series of graphs.
  • Click on the I/O tab. The bottom graph shows disk activity.
  • If you see areas of heavy usage (whether continuous or as spikes), position your mouse over it. A tooltip will pop up next to your mouse cursor showing you what program was accessing the disk the most during that particluar moment.
  • You can also unpause Process Explorer (press Space) and hold your mouse still over the graph. The tooltip will update each time the graph moves to the left. Pause Process Explorer if you want to write something down.
  • When you are finished with the graphs, close the window and follow my previous post's instructions to create another Procexp log.
  • Include what you found in the graphs as well as a new procexp.txt.

Also, you have Panda and Malwarebytes both running in the background. Having multiple antivirus programs installed is not advised as they can interfere with one another.

Edited by LucheLibre, 18 January 2012 - 04:40 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users