Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to do first on desktop after spilled liquid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

My friend just spilled water all over the top of her desktop and she proclaims it shutdown. I am thinking since it shutdown that the water shorted something out. I know in a laptop I have always been told to unplug the battery and then unplug the outlet to prevent further damage. With a desktop is it safe to just unplug the system from the outlet after liquid has spilled whether it causeed the system to shutdown or not? What is the best thing to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alexander Caldwell

Alexander Caldwell

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

Buy a large bag of rice and dump it inside of the desktop.

NOT REALLY, i'm just joking.

I would definitely wait for the computer to dry out. I would take out the hard drive and stick it in a bag of rice to make sure it thoroughly dries.

Theni would plug the hard drive into another computer and backk up all important data. After that i'm not to sure where to proceed. I don't want to blow up your computer after all.

#3 Linda.Christ

Linda.Christ

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:21 AM

Move the CPU to dry area. After a while reconnect the CPU and boot the system.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

If it were mine I would proceed carefully.

Unplug the hard drive power and data cables.

While inside see if you see any signs of water.

I'm guessing the water went into the power supply.

Have the power supply tested before applying AC to it again.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users