Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clear space on my PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pcrak

pcrak

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

My sister sent our PC to her friend to have Windows 7 put on it and now the C: drive is almost maxed out. I don't know if it was that way before it was sent out or not, but it's definitely closer to the max than i would like it to be. I was able to clear about 30gb of space so now there's about 45gb worth of free space out of 143gb total. I have absolutely NO clue what is taking up so much space. Any help to get that number down would be great. We don't have an exorbitant amount of movies, pictures or music files on the computer either. So i'm really lost as to where it could be coming from.

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Did the computer have XP on it before?

I use Windirstat myself to find out what is taking up so much space.

Edited by LucheLibre, 17 January 2012 - 10:22 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

I also favor WinDirStat, but there are a couple of other tools I have tried:

TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Disc Space Reporter - Disk space information tool - http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Disc-Space-Reporter.shtml

Louis

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Use Disc Cleanup and be sure to use the Advanced option to delete all but the most recent restore point. That will free up a LOT of space.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

First off 143 gigs is not much to work with. It wouldn't take many movies to fill it up. Doing what Allen has suggested would help. It seams like after the fresh install the backup was then install with movies and such. If you want to save music and movies you will need a larger hard drive or add another hard drive for storage.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

One possibility is that during the Windows 7 install it detected an existing Windows installation and offered to move the windows files into another directory. Thus you could have two windows installation taking up space even though only one will run.

Off of the top of my head it is in a folder called something like old windows or windows old. You would look in here for your old documents and such.

Also if the drive wasn't formatted all the old files are still there along with the new Windows install.

Cheers

Edited by rotor123, 19 January 2012 - 06:00 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 pcrak

pcrak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

when using 'disk cleanup' where is the 'advanced' option located? i'm not seeing it... i only see "clean up system files" and "view files"

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Sorry - didn't mean Advanced - meant the "more options" tab.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Here is something I use with my Windows 7 systems.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/76383-disk-cleanup-extended-2.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users