Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very real looking Comcast phishing email circulating

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

I received an email in my "spam" folder, but when I first read it I wasn't sure if it was really spam or not, although I had never heard of "Ecobill" before. The link given is a phishing link.

Tracking link: (REDACTED)

The email itself comes from the server: omta05.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net

Complete email is shown below:

Dear Comcast Customer,

We are upgrading the Comcast XFINITY and Ecobill services. As the primary contact, you must renew your
Comcast Ecobill enrollment as soon as possible or it will be canceled and your Comcast account will be limited.
Sign-in using the link below so we can renew your membership. Please save this e-mail for your records.

RENEW YOUR Ecobill service enrollment now:<phishing link deleted>

Sincerely,

Comcast Cable

Please do not reply to this e-mail as we are not able to respond to messages sent to this address.
Copyright 2011. Comcast. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners.
Comcast respects your privacy. For a complete description of our privacy policy, click here .

Comcast Corporation
One Comcast Center
1701 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2838

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Standard rule of thumb: If a company email doesn't address you by name, delete it.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

>>>Standard rule of thumb: If a company email doesn't address you by name, delete it<<<

True Dat. :wink:

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/wireless-internet/phishing-scams/

Be suspicious of any email or phone call that asks for your personal account information, such as user names, passwords, and account numbers.
Be aware that Comcast will never ask you for password information over the phone or email.
Comcast will never ask for billing or payment information through email
Always make sure you use a secure server when submitting credit card information. To make sure you're using a secure server, check the beginning of the web address in your browsers address bar — it should be https:// rather than just http://.
Microsoft has created a security update for Internet Explorer that will help you avoid phishing scams. It removes a vulnerability that could allow an attacker to misrepresent the location of a web page in the address bar of an Internet Explorer window. We strongly urge you to download this patch if your computer has Internet Explorer installed (even if you don’t use Internet Explorer as your primary web browser).

Think you received a phishing scam email? Follow the steps below so our abuse team can start an investigation:

Copy the email, including headers, and paste it into a new email.
Please do not forward the phishing message: this will remove the email headers.
Be sure to add the words "phishing email" in the subject.
Send the email to our abuse team. abuse.comcast.net

You can also find the top Comcast phishing scams here

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Alerts/

As for Ecobill, it does NOT have to be "renewed". The only thing a customer has to do is change credit card or bank information if that changes.

Union Thug, thank you for removing the phishing link. We see people report these things in the Comcast help forums who do NOT remove active phishing links. While they mean well, we end up moving the posts out of public view.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 January 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

@ QE: You're welcome. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users