Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help completing removal of System Check virus on Windows 7 PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chrisad2

chrisad2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi all,
Here is my problem in a nutshell: I'm trying to run ComboFix in safe mode (the computer crashes after a few minutes in normal mode), and ComboFix is telling me that TrendMicro antivirus and Windows Security Center are running, even they don't appear to be (I disabled Windows Security Center as indicated on the tutorials on this site, and Task Manager doesn't show any Trend Micro processes or services to be running). My first question is whether it is safe to run ComboFix at this point (is it possible that the programs really aren't running); if not, how do I disable these programs even though they both appear to be disabled? The full version of my problem is below.

My Windows 7 PC was infected with the System Check virus. I ran MalwareBytes and then a root killer (that didn't find anything) and unhid all hidden icons, etc. At first, the computer seemed to be running normally; then, it started crashing - I'd get a BSOD with a Windows stop error. I tried doing a system restore, but that didn't help. Now, if I boot into normal mode, I get the BSOD/stop error after a few minutes, even if I don't do anything on the computer. One of the computer techs at my university recommended that I run ComboFix (I have the tutorial open on my laptop), then MalwareBytes, then a full anti-virus scan (all in safe mode). My question is whether you would suggest this route or another, and how do I safely run ComboFix with the problem noted above? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 January 2012 - 07:54 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 January 2012 - 07:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users