Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Delete Empty Folder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 rokittman

rokittman

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

I recently did a backup of a data partition to an external drive using Windows drag and drop. It took several attempts because not all the files and folders would transfer completely. When I was finished, I did a file by file check to be sure everything was copied and also deleted several items I no longer needed.

Buried deep in my Steam folder ~ an online gaming platform ~ I noticed a folder named CookedPC that was empty. This was the last folder in a series of subfolders that were ALL empty and showing 0kb in size. I tried to delete it, but it kept saying access denied and that the folder was NOT empty. I've tried renaming it, moving it, changing the extension, deleting it in Safe mode and even used Unlocker. NOTHING will remove this folder. Unlocker claimed the file was deleted, but it still existed and returned a system tray popup saying the file was corrupt. I did manage to remove all the other folders between Steam and CookedPC by moving CookedPC to the Steam folder.

MalwareBytes, SpyBot, MS Security Essentials, Ad-Aware, CCleaner, all show no infections. Is there a way to permanently remove this folder?

Thank you,
- Dean -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

As this does not appear to be a malware issue and you have a duplicate topic here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic437939.html I will close this one.

Edited by Budapest, 17 January 2012 - 05:39 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users