Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

physical memory dump

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 krismanten

krismanten

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

Im working on a laptop for a friend. Windows will not even start, it gives the following message:

stop: c0000218 registry file failure
the registry cannot load the file:
\system root\system32\config\software
or its log or alternate
it is corrupt, absent, or not available

beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete

it gives me the message in normal and safe mode

please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

See Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 .

Louis

#3 krismanten

krismanten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak

when i enter this, it says "the file could not be copied"
everything else copied ok, but this is holding me up. what should i do now?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Skip that step and see what happens.

#5 krismanten

krismanten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

i did, and it still gave me the same message. would i be better off just to do a complete reinstall?

#6 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

The software registry hive got corrupted

You have 2 choices here.

1. Replace the software registry hive from a backup (which windows saves, thankfully) and possibly run into other issues

or

2. Back up the data with use of a SATA/PATA to USB device, and reinstall windows (recommended)

If you want to attempt to fix it:

Boot off of your Windows XP CD, and go into the recovery console by hitting R once it's loaded.

copy C:\windows\repair\software C:\windows\system32\config

If it asks to overwrite, just say yes, because your current one is corrupted anyways.

After that, reboot and you should be good.

Just an FYI, it's probably not updated at all to match all the software that's actually installed on the computer, so its going to probably act like a fresh XP install when you boot into the system.

Good luck!

Edited by akoch, 20 January 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Do a repair install of XP:

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#8 krismanten

krismanten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

stop: c0000221 (bad image checksum)
the image comdlg32.dll is possibly corrupt

when i start with last good known configuration

when i tried to reinstall windows, it gave 3 choices. 2 partioned drives, and 1 unpatitioned to install on. which one do i choose?

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Before you actually proceed with the "last resort" step of re-installing Windows, I would like to suggest that you attempt to replace the registry hives with backup copies in a different manner than you were attempting previously. I think this might be an easier and more understandable way for you to do it.

Note when you get to step 2:

:step2: In the "config" folder at C:\Windows\System32\config, locate the current registry hive files ...

.... and re-name them by appending .old to the filename, so that they now look like this ....

At this stage we can't be sure what you will find there. The main thing you are doing is renaming existing files in this location so that you don't over-write them in the next step, so if you do not see any one or more of the files mentioned, then you do not need to worry about the re-naming. Just continue on.

=======================================================

Try using a LIVE CD to perform an off-line system restore of the registry hives.

Using a working computer:
There are many options to use for a LIVE CD: Try Puppy Linux (download file size 128 MB)
When you have downloaded the ISO image, burn it to a CD using ImgBurn (choose "Write image file to disc"). The CD will be bootable.

Now to work on your problematic computer:
Boot from the Puppy Linux CD. You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.

Off-line system restore using a LIVE CD

:step1: Navigate to C:\System Volume Information\
Inside that folder you will see a folder with a name beginning with "restore" followed by a long alpa-numeric code in brackets. Inside the "restore<bracketed long alpa-numeric code>" folder you will see a number of folders named "RP<3 digit number>". Choose the highest number: That is your most recent System Restore point.
Open the "RP<highest number>" folder and inside that you will see another folder called "snapshot". Finally, open the "snapshot" folder and you will be at this address ...
C:\System Volume Information\restore<bracketed long alpha-numeric code>\RP<highest number>\snapshot

Locate the 5 files that you need to copy from within the snapshot folder:

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT

Copy these 5 files from here, and paste into the "config" folder at following location ...
C:\Windows\System32\config <<< folder

:step2: In the "config" folder at C:\Windows\System32\config, locate the current registry hive files ...

system
software
security
sam

.... and re-name them by appending .old to the filename, so that they now look like this ....

system.old
software.old
security.old
sam.old
default.old

:step3: Still in the "config" folder at C:\Windows\System32\config
Re-name the files that you copied from the restore point:

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM ... rename to SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE ... rename to SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY ... rename to SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM ...rename to SAM
_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT .... rename to DEFAULT (You MUST remove the dot in front of DEFAULT)

You have now completed the system restore. Shut down the computer, removing the LIVE CD.

Does your Windows XP system start normally now?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hi

First there was a stop: c0000218 on a registry hive then there was a stop: c0000221 on loading a mandatory win32 API library while troubleshooting.
And...

copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak

when i enter this, it says "the file could not be copied"
everything else copied ok, but this is holding me up. what should i do now?

You might want to check your hard drive for errors before going further.

If it turns out to be okay then AustrAlien's suggestion is a wise next step.

James

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

You might want to check your hard drive for errors before going further.

Always a good first step: Thanks for suggesting something the rest of us should have done in the first place. I'll post some instructions for testing the hard drive ...

Test the hard drive. If you tell us the hard drive manufacturer's name (brand name) and model we can point you to the most appropriate diagnostic utility to use. It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working.The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#12 krismanten

krismanten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

tried this, goes to a blank screen and then just freezes like the monitor was turned off

#13 krismanten

krismanten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

intel pentium 4 2.40 ghz
512 mb
intel 845gl
service tag d73mv31

does this help any?

#14 krismanten

krismanten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

hello? is everyone stumped?

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

tried this, goes to a blank screen and then just freezes like the monitor was turned off

Hi

What exactly do you mean by 'this'? Are you saying that you couldn't boot from the Seatools CD you made? Or about replacing the registry files? Or something else?

Registry corruption usually is the result of the system being suddenly shutdown in the middle of writing a value to the registry. An example of a shutdown that can do it is a BSOD. Typically, you try to repair the registry corruption and then try to find what caused it. Often it was caused by a one in a million occurrence or just happenstance but sometimes more BSOD's continue to occur (as in your case) pointing to a potential cause for the registry corruption.

stop: c0000221 (bad image checksum)
the image comdlg32.dll is possibly corrupt

Points to a possible error with the disk drive. You need to test it and address it otherewise it could continue to crash which will eventually lead to more registry corruption.

Now if you are saying that you can't boot from a boot CD (make sure the boot CD works in another computer), the problem is with hardware. Try a different CD Drive or a bootable USB key. Try different memory that you know is good. Try different AC power supply that you know is good. If none of those allow you to boot from a boot CD then the problem is probably with one of the boards inside it. There aren't many boards in a laptop so at that point it will probably not be cost efficient to repair it.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users