Hi dotphil, and welcome to the forums!!
My name is bloopie and I'll be assisting you for the time being.
Computers randomly restarting can be caused by excessive heat and other things. Please list the make and model of your computer.
Also, have you seen any blue screen's that flashed on screen before it shuts off?
Please download GMER
from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
- Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
- Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in safe mode.
- Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
- Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
- Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
- Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
- GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
- If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
- Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
- When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
- Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
- Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
-- If GMER crashes or keeps resulting in a BSODs, uncheck Devices on the right side before scanning
Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy
, and post a link to it in this thread.
This is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.If you cannot get on-line to publish the information, and wish to attach it as a text file to your post, then please edit it to ensure that you do not include your Windows Key.
Edited by bloopie reborn, 18 January 2012 - 07:28 PM.