Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows (Vista x32) won't start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 combatTVgirl

combatTVgirl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

A co-worker had updates to install last week on his Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. One was Vista SP1, the other three are unknown. He says his computer worked fine all day Friday, but when he came in Monday morning, Vista wouldn't start. (I'm assuming he did not restart the computer once the updates were done installing, but simply shut the computer down.) I've tried every option with booting in Safe Mode and it still won't start. I tried the four system restore points that I had, and it says it can't restore due to an unknown error. When I run Startup Repair I get the following:

Problem event name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
Problem Signature 03: 6
Problem Signature 04: 1310740
Problem Signature 05: CorruptRegistry
Problem Signature 06: CorruptRegistry
Problem Signature 07: 999
Problem Signature 08: 3
Problem Signature 09: RollbackRegistry
Problem Signature 01: 0
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Could this be a boot sector virus? Is there any way I can find out what part of the registry is corrupt? Or will I have to reinstall from a disk?

When I went through the Diagnosis and Repair details, only two things jumped out at me:

Test Performed:
------------------
Name: Fallback diagnosis
Result: Completed Successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 0ms

Root Cause:
------------------
Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.

Repair action: System Restore
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
Time taken = 0ms

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x4005
Time taken = 360ms

Edited by combatTVgirl, 17 January 2012 - 03:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Bit behind on updates installing SP1 which has been around for a long time, it should be on SP2.

What I think may have occured is the system was shut down during the installation of the updates which will have made a complete mess of the registry.

As System Restore has failed then there is not much else you can do other than re-install the OS, either from a Vista disc or the Recovery partition or Recovey discs.

You could try the procedure below to repair the boot sector but it is a long shot, even if it boots, the registry may be so corrupt that it will immediately crash resulting in a BSOD. Running sfc /scannow from the Command Prompt might just save it, but again that is a long shot.

From the Command Prompt type bootrec.exe and press Enter. This will rebuild the boot configuration data and hopefully fix your problem. You can also run the command with switches to fix just the master boot record (/fixmbr), the boot sector (/fixboot), or rebuild the entire BCD (/rebuildbcd).

If Bootrec runs successfully, it will present you with the installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes . A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.

If Bootrec cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order shown below: (Remember to press ENTER after each command)

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

- Restart the computer.

If you need to recover data from the drive before a re-install follow this guide: Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users