Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fitone

fitone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

I am unable to upgrade to XP Home Edition because I get an error that I need to remove Microsoft Fax Client because a new fax client is used with XP Home. The problem is this program is not in the Uninstall program list. I have ran many utilities to try and clean up the registry with no luck. I have done searches on the net and the only thing I have found is to go back to windows 95 which is where this software comes from and reinstall it then uninstall it. NOT AN OPTION!
This computer was originally a Win95. Then Win98.
Do I have to format the hard drive and do a clean upgrade from that or is there another way of getting around this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:44 PM

You have found one of the reasons a clean, fresh install is better than an upgrade. If you wipe the disk, there will be no system left to upgrade from.

First of all, are you sure your computer meets the requirements for XP and there are available drivers for all the computer's components and the peripherals you are using? (printer, sound card, video card, etc)

Check and see if your system can be upgraded to XP here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/up...ng/default.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users