Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lingering issues after "fixing" Windows XP Security 2012 virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CzarKib

CzarKib

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hello -

I followed the instructions posted for removing the so-called Windows XP Security 2012 virus last week. However, other viruses seem to have taken its place. ESET is continuously blocking attacks, and when it performs a scan, it claims there to be a threat in the memory that cannot be cleaned.

I'm not certain what other information to provide, so I hope this is enough to get us started.

Thanks!
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Please download GMER from here

http://www2.gmer.net/download.php

Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.

GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic Full Scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)

If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.

#3 CzarKib

CzarKib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hello.

I tried running the program you suggested twice. The first time, the scan aborted after about 5 minutes - the entire program simply closed down. The second time was going very well, but about 5 hours into the scan, I got the "WARNING! about rootkit activity" message. I clicked OK, and the log up to that point disappeared entirely before the scan was finished, and before I could save/copy it.

Any suggestions?

Mark

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

Read the preparation guide

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

Create a new topic here