Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Residential Gateway Device

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sherman8r44

Sherman8r44

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

Today when I booted my computer a popup came up saying that I had a new Network Place, "Residential Gateway Device", and it asked me whether I wanted to put a shortcut on the desktop. My computer has a ZyDAS USB Wi-fi adapter so that it can be connected in a wireless network to a Belkin router, a Linksys laptop card and a NetGear. I tell you all this because I looked in the properties of the "Residential Gateway Device" and found that it is a Broadcom MN-500 Wireless Base Station. What scares me most about this is that under "Device Address" there is NOTHING listed :thumbsup: . Help as to what this actually is, if I need to get rid of it, and how to get rid of it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:44 PM

See if this will help:

Google Groups

A Residential Gateway Device That Cannot Be Controlled Is Displayed on a Windows Me-Based Client

I looked in the properties of the "Residential Gateway Device" and found that it is a Broadcom MN-500 Wireless Base Station.

If this does not match any of your devices attached to your network check your security settings.
With out knowing how your network, file & print sharing, etc. is setup this could be a wireless card in a host computer (attached to printer) on your network.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/suppor...less_secure.htm

#3 Sherman8r44

Sherman8r44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:16 PM

I mentioned the components in my network to show that the Broadcom is NOT a part of my system. So I disabled the UPnP and there is no longer a Residential Gateway device. Thanks River_Rat! :thumbsup:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

Make sure the security settings are enabled in your wireless router.

List the allowable mac addresses for your connected wireless devices in your router's admin program and set it to not allow any others.

#5 Sherman8r44

Sherman8r44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

OK, will do.

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

I mentioned the components in my network to show that the Broadcom is NOT a part of my system. So I disabled the UPnP and there is no longer a Residential Gateway device. Thanks River_Rat! :thumbsup:

You're Welcome

Thanks for letting us know.

Be sure to get them security setting set up.. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users