Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internal system speaker

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

hi BC nation,

Processor Type Intel Pentium 4

Included Drives DVD-Reader DVD-ROM

Operating System Windows XP Home with SP2

Onboard Video Chipset Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900

Processor Speed 3ghz

Installed Memory 1024

Processor Class Intel Pentium 4

Processor Speed 3 GHz
Cache Size 1 MB

Number of Installed Processors 1

Installed Memory 1024 MB

Max System Memory 2 GB

Memory Technology DDR SDRAM

Memory Socket DIMM

Drive Controllers Serial ATA
Interface Connection 6 x USB 2.0, Firewire Yes,
VGA Yes, Ethernet RJ-45 Yes, Audio Line In Yes, Audio Line Out Yes, Modem RJ-11 Yes

Expansion Slots
Number of PCI Slots 2
Number of PCI-Express x1 Slots 1
Number of PCI-Express x16 Slots 1
Slots CompactFlash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo,
Memory Stick PRO, MultiMedia Card (MMC), SD Card, SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card
Software

Number of Storage Drives: 2

Video Bus PCI Express x16

I have been attempting to get the internal speaker working again as it hasn't worked in a few years. i wish to have sound without having to plug in speakers and then a headphone into the jack on the speakers. the wires always get tangled up. i will put up a couple of screen grabs out of control panel. my internal speaker reads as a realtek 880. i went to the realtek site and d/l the sp2 drivers and attempted the install. now i get conflict reading out of control panel. last time i checked, when i plug in a set of speakers to the back panel, everything works fine, but i wish i had the internal speaker working again. thx.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

What sony model is it? Most likely the onboard audio was already diagnosed not functional a few years back... is that right? The greyed-out area could also indicate that incorrect drivers are installed. The computer model would help a lot.

Tekken

#3 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

the oem packaging reads as vgc-rb40, i went to system info and got the info attached in the graphic that read vgc-rb44g.. wait, scratch the photo, i went over my size quota.

#4 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

i just recently looked it up and it delivered the code 10, but after i installed the realtek driver for sp2, it isn't reading anything in the control panel now, but the system info reads it as i saw in the aforementioned screen grabs.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Can you post a screenshot of the device manager? Expand for the onboard Sound, Video Controllers.

i wish to have sound without having to plug in speakers and then a headphone into the jack on the speakers

I am a bit curious about these part... What type of internal component(speaker) do you need to fix? The speaker or headphone port corresponds to the onboard chipset audio for the desktop which does work or not? What is having to plug in speakers and headphone together? This could be the problem.

Tekken

#6 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

ok, i will try to get the photo up of what i think you are getting at. yesterday it turned out that i went over my size limit and couldn't put up any more attachments. what the desired result is to have audio without having to plug in speakers, which is quite annoying when the wires are getting tangled all over the place, i will attempt to d/l the realtek 880 drivers again today to see if i can get an install with the configuration. the sound works when speakers are plugged in to the jack in the back of the machine, but i want the sound to work from the internal onboard setup like it used to. this is the bc message i got when trying to put up the attachment........

Error This file was too big to upload

Used 505.98K of your 512K global upload quota (Max. single file size: 6.02K)

is there anyway to get the quota to reset?

#7 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

now, after d/l the audio drivers from sony esupport, still nothing..it gets thicker, speccy indicates the onboard audio is just a unimodem half duplex audio device. i tried googling that one but all tht came back was driver sniffers, which i would certainly want to avoid.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:06 AM

Can you check device manager for any flags or marks? I am confused on the built-in speakers which the desktop model might not have. Are you referring to the motherboard or internal speaker for beep codes?

Tekken

#9 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

ok, i checked the device manager, no flags in the audio. still can't attach the image unless it is under 6kb in size. the POST beeps are fine. i am referring to the internal mobo speaker. also, i recently had a gpu go bad, and was instructed to dismount the bad gpu to get the onboard video to engage and use until i installed the new gpu. could this be a similar concept, dismount the separate audio card to get the onbaoard audio to engage? that would eliminate the headphone dynamic. at this point i am tempted to think about cutting and insulating the electrical connection wire routing from the primary separate speaker to the other one to keep them from tangling up. yes, the speaker pair i have is that annoying. if it is just one speaker with a headphone jack, it wouldn't get so annoying with the tangled wires. ultimately, i would prefer to just plug the headphones into the back of the machine where there is a light green colored jack provided and bypass separate speakers altogether. i am relatively certain this kind of thing pops up all the time with other users.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

dismount the separate audio card to get the onbaoard audio to engage?

This is clearly a yes, provided there is one installed.The reason you must have a soundcard installed is most likely a bad onboard audio chip. The code 10 explanation is Here. This is the Manual for VGCRB40 Desktopand looking at the page describing the back panel are your available audio ports. In page 21, is a common single audio output port to be used either by headphone or an external speaker. Please verify form the PDF manual of what you refer to internal speakers.

Tekken

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

I'm surprised that you ever had windows sounds from the internal speaker.
Normally that is only there to beep when powered up or provide beep codes for errors.

The only computers I've seen that play windows sounds throught the internal speaker are business models where saving desktop space is important

Do external speakers work?

On Dells with a sound card the only reason the front audio ports work is Dell uses a cable that can plug into built-in sound or the Dell sound card. Any other sound card will dsiable the front audio ports for example.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

this dilemma just got more hairy. now when i plug in the separate speaker set, they don't work anymore. after further examination, there isn't a separate audio card, just a rectangular sheetmetal enclosure seated on mobo that the audio jacks are connected to . wish i could attach the photo. the speaker that works is the POST beep one, whereas the speaker i want to get enabled is the one that used to play the windows sounds upon startup. that sony pdf page wouldn't load for some reson, will try again later. still getting "no audio device" in control panel. anyone know how to get my global upload quota reset so i can get some images put up to help illustrate ?

#13 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

ok i saw page 21 of the pdf. downloading the rest now, thanks for the link. that is the external speaker set configuration. if that jack could just work with headphones, that would be the bullseye.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

i would prefer to just plug the headphones into the back of the machine where there is a light green colored jack provided and bypass separate speakers altogether.
if that jack could just work with headphones, that would be the bullseye.

The headphones and external speakers share this green lime port for the onboard audio chip. So only one can be used.

Tekken

#15 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

yes, the way it used to work was like this: i would plug the annoying speaker set into the lime green jack, then plug the headphones into the main speaker. now control panel shows no audio device and the way i used to do it no longer works. does this issue now go to external hardware or windows xp?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users