Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Purpose Laptop - User Profiles

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dodger57

Dodger57

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hi all!

Had an issue and wanted to get some advice, please. We are a small office and I'm the ad hock "computer guy" but this one has me a bit stumped.

The boss got a new laptop and wants to replace his desktop PC with it - no problem. Join the domain, hook up Outlook and he's ready to go (we do not use exchange or much of the other server goodies). Well now he wants that laptop to also be his road laptop. Okay ... well I see a couple of issues here... he's not going to be able to login in to his main user account as it will be tied to the domain - right? He'll have to log into the local machine and thus will get a new desktop and all application preferences will be absent. Is this the case? If so is there a way to duplicate or sync up the user profiles between the domain account and the "away" account?

He's okay with using webmail while on the road so this local profile doesn't have to connect or sync with outlook. The only issue is having to update app preferences and such.

Any other suggestions on the best way to do this? Something really easy and low tech as both he and I are simple minded when it comes to this sort of thing. ;)

Thanks so much for the help! Hope that made sense.
Daf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Actually you should not have to do anything with the laptop. No additional user account needs to be created either. Setup the laptop at the office and connect it to the domain. The laptop can then be shut down and taken anywhere. the user name and password are cached locally for the last user so he will be able to log on and off while disconnected. As a bonus since it appears you are not using anexchange server as long as he has an interent connection then Outlook should work as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Dodger57

Dodger57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

Really!?? That is good news! :) I thought it wouldn't connect since it would not be able to find the domain. I'll give it a try! Thanks for the reply.

Daf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users