Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:29 AM

Just bought a Linksys NR041 router, but before using it I thought I'd have another go with my SMC700ABR router. I have two computers, WinXP Home (SP2) on both, cable ISP, one computer is on 24/7 and the other mostly off.

If I connect both computers to the SMC router with no setup, I have internet connection on both. Same IP address. But, overnight I will lose internet connection. My home page (Google) will come up, it can locate sites, but I cannot connect to them. Rebooting will correct the situation, but the problem will reoccur. (Problem exists with Firefox and Internet Explorer)

Yesterday, I used the Windows network setup program (with the SMC router) which I thought went okay. The router's IP address has changed from what it was prior. Each computer now has it's own IP address. Subnet Mask and Default Gateway is the same for each computer. Shields UP reports that both computers have no reverse DNS. Last evening after Computer #2 sat idle for five hours, I still had internet connection. But, this morning the same problem existed. Google would find sites, but I couldn't connect. Rebooting corrects the problem.

I have disk cleanup as a scheduled task for 3:30 am, but with router connected the task doesn't start. Could this have any bearing?

I'd like to get these computers networked but I'm clueless. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by BlueGrass, 11 February 2006 - 10:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:29 PM

Just to make sure I understand this right, you have not yet tried the new linksys router you bought??

Also, I'd be curious to see what happens if you were to disable the disk cleanup and see what happens

#3 BlueGrass

BlueGrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:54 PM

Just to make sure I understand this right, you have not yet tried the new linksys router you bought??

Also, I'd be curious to see what happens if you were to disable the disk cleanup and see what happens

No, haven't opened the router's box yet.

I'm curious too about the scheduled cleanup task. It's set for 3:30 am, and brings up a window, but I need to manually okay the cleanup procedure in the morning.. With the router connected, that scheduled task never begins, but as I said, during the night is when I lose the internet connection. I've discontinued the task so should know tomorrow.

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

I would hook up the Linksys router, see if problem is gone.
If not then it is either cable modem or NIC card.

As for the scheduled task, you will need to set it up with a password for it to run.

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:29 PM

you got there things set up as dynamic? or static?
smc is an entry level router, the linksys is better by far, i have fixed many issues with them. the cleanup thing has no bearing on the router however.
here is a good cleanup utility to try.
http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:59 PM

Enter the setup page and make sure the DNS is setup to obtain automaticaly. If you know your DNS IP address for you ISP you can manually set them up in your router's setup page. If you do not know your ISP's DNS contact them. They should provide you with them.
I have been using the Linksys Network Everywhere NR041-wm Router since '99. I run it Static and manually insert the DNS from COX. You should not have to do this unless you are configuring a Static LAN, but strange things sometimes happen.
DNS is like a telephone book. Without the list of names (www names) you will never find the telephone number (IP address). Having the DNS IP address is like having the telephone book when you need someone telephone number. Does this make sence?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 BlueGrass

BlueGrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:35 AM

Well the SMC router just dropped internet connection again, this time on only one computer. I disconnected it and will install the Linksys tomorrow.

Thanks acklan for advice on the NR041.

#8 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:50 AM

bgardner,

I'm a bit uncomfortable that you're logging IP adresses. What Purpose does this serve? Is this something that The mods are aware of and ok with?

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:08 AM

lol, that is an avatar used to reflect whoseever looking at it! not logging ip's.
this is info that is not supposed to be masked anyways, it is encoded within your data packets that you send and recieve to view and browse this , or any, web page.
check it out, www.danasoft.com
Google...Google.....browse..read

#10 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:51 AM

Lol Random, No harm here, I have no idea what your IP address is, quite a few users here have it, only the person seeing it knows the info,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users