Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming laptop cooling pad

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 darthian

darthian

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

Hello everyone. I'm currently looking for a gaming laptop cooling pad that works well and is certain to keep my laptop cool. I have a Toshiba Qosmio with a 19inch monitor so it is pretty large. I have looked in many different places but i just haven't found a sure buy yet. The laptop is used for gaming so it is normally under quiet a bit of stress and therefore produces quite a bit of heat. Typically I don't have a problem, but every now and then it overheats. I want to get rid of the problem to improve my gaming experience. If someone could recommend a cooling pad, I'd be grateful. The price doesn't matter a whole lot as long as it's worth the money. In the meantime I'll continue to search.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

Hello darthian:

Take a look at this one, works well for big laptops. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997935 ,
or this one, which is about the same cooler without the USB ports: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834992522 .
Hard to find ones for 19" laptops.Good luck.

Jelerak

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

Just a reminder. All a cooling pad does is push extra air through the laptop.
It will make sure that the laptop is not sitting on something soft that could block the air intake on the bottom of most laptops.
If the heat sink fins are clogged it will not help.

Those Qosmios are nice
Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

The laptop is used for gaming so it is normally under quiet a bit of stress and therefore produces quite a bit of heat

I have never heard of a gaming laptop. :busy:

Tekken

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

The laptop is used for gaming so it is normally under quiet a bit of stress and therefore produces quite a bit of heat

I have never heard of a gaming laptop. :busy:

Hi
In case you are not kidding, example would be Alienware Laptops and Toshiba Qosmios. I've seen the Qosmios with dual Nvidia video cards in SLI configuration. Also I've seen them with the Toshiba SPURS engine that can be used to accelerate video encoding and BluRay playback. I don't think that caught on very good however.

I limit my gaming to Solitaire, so for me any laptop is a gaming laptop :whistle:
Best Regards
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 January 2012 - 11:08 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

By labelling them yes but not as compared to a gaming desktop which is specifically design. You are limited to only light games on laptops.

Tekken

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

No disagreement there from me. They are only gaming laptops within the laptop category as compared to non gaming laptops.

I agree short answer, less powerfull everything. Lightweight cooling etc. Very few laptops can take a second hard drive.

However these days so many people seem to only want laptops despite their many limitations and lack of sturdiness. Spill liquid into a laptop keyboard and a desktop keyboard and see which computer is more likely to be totaled.

Cheers
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

By labelling them yes but not as compared to a gaming desktop which is specifically design. You are limited to only light games on laptops.

So this laptop here: http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/qosmio/X770/X775-Q7272/ , you wouldn't consider a gaming laptop? This is one of many, you can even put dual 580 in laptops. Sure they can handle any game out there.

Jelerak

Edited by Jelerak, 20 January 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

As laptops go yes you can call that a gaming laptop as compared to a general purpose laptop.

The point that jhayz was making is that the fastest laptop will be slower than the fastest desktop.
The I7 processor in laptops is slower than the desktop I7.
This is due to several factors. The Desktop parts have more power available to use. they have much larger heatsinks. The Same thing is true with Video in laptops.

Laptops are full of compromises in design.
1. Mobile versions of parts are low power compared to desktop parts to allow better battery life and allow for adequate cooling.
2. Many laptops are still using 5400 RPM drives and SATA 2 interfaces.
3. Cooling is compromised to keep weight and size down. Thus when worked hard they run very hot.
4. Speakers are never as good as a Desktop can be using.
5. Gamming laptops battery life will be shorter than GP laptops.

So bottom line: Slower and more expensive, However portable as a plus.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users