Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Font Colour

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:27 AM

I seem to remember in 98SE there was a way to change the font colour used by the desktop icons. I've looked round in the XP display settings, but the change icon font option has the colour option greyed out. So is there a way to change it?

I ask this because I tend to use wallpapers with whitish backgrounds, so the windows default doesn't show up terribly well.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:17 AM

An alternative:
Iconoid
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Floydoid

Floydoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:21 AM

I'll give that a try tq, but I was wondering if there's something like a quick registry fix for this.

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:07 AM

Hi Floydoid :thumbsup:

I think you want to do something like this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...3&Product=winxp

Let me know how it goes.
David

#5 Floydoid

Floydoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for that DT - I would have tried the knowledge base, but you know what it's like trying to find anything on Uncle Bill's Scrapheap. :thumbsup:

Do any of following to achieve the look that you want:

NOTE: Not all options for all Window elements are available. For example, the Font option appears dimmed and is unavailable for elements in the Item list that do not display text.

Under Item:
In the Size box, specify the size that you want to use for the item.
In the Color box, specify the color that you want to use for the item.

Under Font:
Click the font that you want to use for the item.
In the Size box, specify the font size.
In the Color box, specify the color that you want.
To apply a bold font, click B. To italicize the font, click I.

When I look at 'Icon' I can change the font style, but not the colour (option is greyed out).

Edited by Floydoid, 12 February 2006 - 07:52 AM.

#6 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:01 AM

Hmmm, now looking i've realised you are on 98. I have no idea whether you can do it on 98, i think those instructions may be for XP.
I recommend you try what tg1911 said.
David

#7 Floydoid

Floydoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:28 AM

Ummm, I'm on XP.

#8 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:32 AM

Hmmm....I'll wait to see what tg1911 recommends.
David

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:03 AM

AhA! I have discovered the secret of the greyed out font dialog (Start...Control Panel...Display...Appearance tab...Advanced button)!

After much f*rting around with this I started clicking on the window with my mouse in frustration. Amazingly, if you click on the picture of the windows above the Item and Font dialog boxes - the font option will "ungrey" and you'll be able to adjust it!

Ain't Windows wunnerful? :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:53 AM

Other than a third party application, I don't believe you can change the color of the text, on the desktop icons.

Edited by tg1911, 13 February 2006 - 11:54 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Floydoid

Floydoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:23 PM

Other than a third party application, I don't believe you can change the color of the text, on the desktop icons.

Well presumably they make a modification to the registry, if only we could fathom what that modification might be, I'd have no qualms about trying it.

@usasma, I tried fiddling about as you suggested, but still only end up with a greyed out box for icon font colour.

Maybe it's time I changed my wallpaper instead (tho I would like to get to the bottom of this).

Edited by Floydoid, 13 February 2006 - 12:24 PM.

#12 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:30 PM

well I just tested out usasma's fix.. it was greyed out for me and when I clicked like he said the color box appeared and i was able to change the font color for my desktop icons. hehehe

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

Floydoid - d'you have any performance or tweaking programs running? They might have set the registry keys for this so that you can't change it. I tried it on 2 systems and it worked just fine.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Floydoid

Floydoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

I still can't get your suggestion to work, and no I don't have any tweaking programs running - I try not to have un-necessary stuff running the background if at all possible.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:51 PM

Do you have SP2 installed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users