Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Slow Start

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Carrion

Carrion

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hi,

My computer starts perfectly, loads fast and everything. I choose the user, and my icons shows up but now, I cant do anything for like 2-3 minutes. I look down at my task bar and only the programs Quicktime and Messenger seems to start exactly when i log on. After 2-3 minutes, Kaspersky and Zonealarm starts to work and after that, I can start using my pc.

I use Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2GHz, 512 MB Ram.

I have searched through my computer for everything, using Ad-aware, Registry Cleaner, Spybot SD, etc. And I can't see anything suspiciously in autoruns... I have also cleaned all temp and cookie folders. What should I do to take my cpu to normal state and fast startup? :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance, Robin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

Have you checked the start up list. Some icons may be hidden so there may be lots of programs running but hidden.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:45 AM

An easy way to check (and manipulate) programmes that launch on boot is to use Spybot's helpful System Startup tool (Mode/Advanced. Then look in Tools) and compare the items listed there with BC's Startup Database, which has advice about whether the program is optional, needed or not needed. if there are applications you are not certain about. You may, for example, wish to stop QT and MSN Messenger from lauching and running in the background until you need either of them.
If you have not done so recently, run checkdisk (scandisk) and then defragment your computer.

If these steps don't help, post back.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:45 PM

Your registry may be polluted with entries left over from deleted programs, etc, and that can slow your boot process down too.

There's a freeware ap named CCleaner which is fairly simple to use and may help. As with using anything that alters the registry - backup a copy of your registry before doing any alterations.

http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 February 2006 - 12:45 PM.

#5 Carrion

Carrion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:27 AM

Hi again and thanks for the fast answers. I've tried what you told me to, ran checkdisk and then defragged my computer. I also tried Ccleaner and the Spybot SD startup fixer, but the problem still remains :S Is there anything else I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Robin

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:05 PM

Slow loading is a resource problem - not necessarily a RAM problem. It could be your CPU, your vid card, your hard drive, your mobo, etc. It's where the system performance bottlenecks when trying to work.

I finally got fed up and went with 2 gB of RAM on my system - it sureis zippy! But, this morning it was slow as molasses! Turns out that the AVG scan was using all of my CPU - so all this extra RAM didn't help worth diddley!

Steps to speed up your computer:

1) Scan for viruses and spyware
2) Disk cleanup
3) Disk defragmentation
4) Prune back unneeded Startups
5) Prune back unneeded Services
6) Optimize/tweak performance options
7) Eliminate hardware bottlenecks (by buying new, better, faster, more powerful hardware! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Carrion

Carrion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:11 PM

Hi and thank you for you answer usasma,
I have already done what you wrote there. Everything but buying more powerful hardware. But I have a pretty new hard drive, bought it for 1-2 months ago. Btw, my computer runs fine, it's only the startup wich is very slow.
Is buying new hardware the only solution to fix my computer? :S

Thanks in advance,
Robin

Edited by Carrion, 15 February 2006 - 12:13 PM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

Try going to Start>Run>msconfig>Startup and unchecking all non-nessecary program at startup.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Carrion

Carrion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:51 PM

Try going to Start>Run>msconfig>Startup and unchecking all non-nessecary program at startup.

Already done, but nothing.

#10 Carrion

Carrion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:29 AM

Nothing has worked :S Please, anyone else?

#11 ssfire

ssfire

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

If you have XP there is a program at:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

called DH TuneXP 1.5 that may help.
If can be found in the "All in one catagory".

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

If you have the AV program set to scan at startup - delay it to a time you won't be using the computer.

Also, if you don't have a video/graphics card with its own ram it may be pulling a lot of system resources.
Try setting it to hi color 16 bit instead of true color 32 bit if applicable.
(control panel/display/settings)
Minimize the use of graphics heavy wallpaper and screensavers or shut them off entirely. See if your speed doesn't increase!

Try using Startup Manager - easier to use than the Windows utility to eliminate unnecessary programs from the startup menu.

StartUp Inspector (Enables novice and expert users to manage Windows® startup applications):
http://www.windowsstartup.com/

Edited by Enthusiast, 20 February 2006 - 12:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users