Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Perfect computer for use as PC TV

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 handshifter

handshifter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

I am trying to determine what type computer i need to purchase for use only to power a 50" screen HDTV. I am hoping to be able to surf the web, inter-act with web sites, watch free movies and pay to play movies.
i am wanting this computer to be in addition to other email and business computers i am using, my plan is to eliminate "TV" programing or tv cable and just use the internet connection for my tv viewing content.

I was hoping to use a desk top style PC connected to TV with HDMI cable, use a keyboard and mouse without cords.

My goal is to find out what PC would be best for my budget etc without buying un-needed and never used extras.

{Your template list answers}
BUDGET: $500.00 to $750.00 for all parts [not including hdtv]
PRIMARY USE: To power the HDTV as a monitor to surf the web and watch movies.
SOFTWARE: i am not sure what operating system would be best, dont want extras i dont need.
GAMES: i am not planning to use this set up to play any games.
LOTS OF PROGRAMS: just plan to use to power the hdtv.
PICTURE/MUSIC STORAGE: i am not planning to store any photos or music on the pc.

Also once i get this perfect PC i understand there may be some type of changes made to the pc settings to run a tv screen, i do not understand what these setting changes are and need some information.

PS: i have looked at the several new hdtv's [internet tv's] on the market that boast connection to the internet and have "apps" to connect to movie sites, i am not interested in these as i think they are limited and not able to surf any site on the internet. Am i correct in thinking these products are limited or am i just not understanding all the details???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

Acer AM3970-UR10P

The computer usually auto adjusts to the perfect resolution, so you shouldn't really worry too much about it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 handshifter

handshifter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

So what makes this Acer a better computer for my planned use to run a HDTV than all the others out there that cost less??? am i just over thinking this and could just use any computer on the market that will surf the web??

I thought there was something i need to get special prossesor or video card to make the pc work normal or fast when displaying on a large screen HDTV ??? is there a specific specification i should look for on a desktop to do the work i am planning

why cant i seem to find much answers on this PC to TV thing?? is doing this setup so easy most computer users just plug in the cord and push the TV on button???

or do all the pc users out there in computerland just surf the web on a 20" monitor and pay for cable TV on their big screen tv.

i am not being a wise cracker, i really dont know.

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

This one might be more specific to your needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103364
It comes with an HDMI cable with which you connect it to your TV. The remote should have an input button with which you can select the appropriate HDMI input. After that, it's just like using a computer monitor. Size doesn't make a difference. It should be able to display 1080p content without any problems.

Edited by RainbowSix, 18 January 2012 - 11:19 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users