Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud CPU fan on windows login, possibly from Gigabyte Easytune 6

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OzzyPyro

OzzyPyro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hi guys,

2 days ago I reformatted my computer and reinstalled windows.

Today after logging in to windows (a few seconds later, network and audio icons appear first) then the CPU fan (not case fans) will run fast/loud as if the PC is under load - even though its idling at 5% CPU usage and 50 degrees celcius (122f). It works normally in safe mode.

This started to occur yesterday at the same time as an odd error message I received from Gigabyte Easytune 6 which was installed but I had not been using. I then uninstalled Easytune 6 using Revo Uninstaller Pro and restarted. That didn't solve it, I did a system restore to the oldest point possible which only brought back the Eastune error message. I then uninstalled Easytune again.

I checked inside the PC, almost as clean as new. Checked connections, all good.

I checked the fan settings in the BIOS which was set to auto for fan speed, tried changing the CPU to PWM (My case fans are Artic Cooling PWM fans.)

Flashed BIOS to latest version.

Used autoruns to check what drivers are running at startup, disabled grdv.sys from Gigabyte.

I am stuck and don't want to reformat and reinstall again! Please help!

Windows 7 x64 bit
Gigabyte GA P55-USB3
Intel Core i5 760 socket 1156

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike19865586

Mike19865586

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Check out this thread:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633083

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I think it's very similar. Good luck :)

#3 OzzyPyro

OzzyPyro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Scratch that - it isn't the CPU fan - its the VGA Fan!

ATI 6800 series. Reinstalling drivers now.

#4 OzzyPyro

OzzyPyro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

Thanks Mike, i just reinstalled the ATI drivers to no avail, but when i went into the CCC control panel - AMD Overdrive, I could see the fan was running at 50% with auto speed enabled. I checked manual speed, applied, then changed it back to auto and it is now running at 25%

Odd, something caused the fan to stick at 50% but it appears to be normal now.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

That actually does happen from time to time with ATI video cards, its an odd bug, experienced it a few times myself. If its running fine now, I wouldn't be to concerned about it unless it starts it up again. The one thing to monitor is to make sure the auto speed control turns it up under load like its supposed to. If it does it again, try using a third party fan controller such as Riva Tuner and see if that solves the issue.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users