Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 romanexile

romanexile

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

I got a error code 14, I Do Not have any recovery discs as I found the kids playing frisbee with them one day.

I was looking into buying a new OEM XP on ebay but am getting conflicting information on whether or not it

will work and what is needed for it to work.............Any thoughts ??

Its stuck in the familiar Windows to blue screen loop, its an HP Desktop......Thanks.

I had a similar problem but your suggestion above does not even work. I receive a message stating:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language ..
3. Click "Repair your computer."

I tried doing that, but it didn't work. I have three different discs though, from Geek Squad, labeled Recovery Disc 1, RD 2, RD 3. I tried first using disc 1, but to no avail.
???

The message below the above reads:

If you do not have this disc, contact your system admin or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load bec the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

I went to Geek Squad but they want to charge $200 and I don't have it. There must be some solution here. You guys helped with my last problem.

Edited by hamluis, 16 January 2012 - 08:31 PM.
Split from different topic, PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hi -
First check if the computer can be started by using Last Known Good Configuration.
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer.
2. Pressing the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

We can also just check if we can start the system in Safe Mode:

1. Start computer.
2. Pressing F8.
3. Select Safe mode.
4. Press Enter.

Meanwhile, please also check other USB devices, printers, keyboards, mouse, or similar on the computer, you can disconnect them and try to start the computer again.

Thank You -

Edited for spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 16 January 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#3 Jµdäs

Jµdäs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

romanexile:

The path you specified from the boot error: "\Windows\system32\config\system" is actually the Windows registry. In my years of working on PC's professionally, that error occurs (over 9 times out of 10, on average) because the hard disk has failed and needs to be replaced.

Do you hear any strange clicking noises from your PC that you didn't hear before?

If you do, it's what experienced PC technicians affectionately call the "click of death." It signifies failing components inside the hard disk drive. Hard disk drives, with the exception of "SSD" drives are mechanical. They have electric motors that rotate plates at very high RPM, with an arm (or arms) inside that move back and forth to read the data. Just like any mechanical device, they wear out and eventually fail. Older hard drives (pre 2001) tended to last longer because they were of a higher quality build. Nowadays, PC's are cheap for a reason. The cost of manufacture has gone down, sometimes at a quality trade-off, especially on hard disk drives and RAM.

I would venture a guess that you cannot boot into safe mode using the walkthrough posted by noknojon.

At that point, to fix the issue, I would advise you first to examine the case of the PC. Does it have a Microsoft "Certificate of Authenticity" or "COA" with the Windows version you had installed, along with a product key? If so, I would try to obtain a set of restore disks from the manufacturer of the PC and purchase a replacement hard disk drive and re-load the operating system. Replacement hard disks can be pretty cheap through hardware sites like newegg.com or tigerdirect.com You can certainly get a replacement drive for less 100 dollars US.

It's easier to fix than it sounds.

Regards,
Judas

A+ Certified
MCTS, Windows 7 Configuration

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

FWIW: Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users