Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a new computer. MAC or PC??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LeahRae

LeahRae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

Alright, so I'm unsure of whether or not to get another PC or to switch to a mac. I've always had PCs, but I always get viruses. I have an iPhone, too, and I love it. I was thinking getting a mac would be like having an iPhone. ha IDK though.. I found this mac on amazon and thought it was pretty reasonable. Is it a good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MD313LL-13-3-Inch-VERSION/dp/B005CWIVYI/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1326762600&sr=1-3

I'm still debating, though cause macs are a bit pricy. If i don't get the mac, I thought I might get this because it's not as expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPCEH37FX-15-5-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B006MB7DII/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1326762885&sr=1-3

Any help would be appreciated! PS: I'm a girl and in college so like I dont really need it for gaming or anything.. just to listen to music, write papers, and social network basically, so i don't need anything really sick like memory wise or whatever.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr.Ninja

Mr.Ninja

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Do you usually get antivirus software? Your computer (or so I've heard) is as safe as you make it. The mac's however, are a bit pricey for their specs, so I would advise getting a PC (I like Acer, although there are a fair amount of other ones.).
If life gives you a melon... you might be dyslexic.

I'm a ninja, you see me somewhere in the for-

Picture this, you're on an empty beach, scanning it, and you think Wow, this would be a great place for a ninja vaca-

#3 LeahRae

LeahRae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

yeah i have anti virus software, but i think im just like retarded or something.. it's kind of embarrassing how prone to viruses i am.

#4 Mr.Ninja

Mr.Ninja

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

The VAIO looks decent enough but first, look at some reviews (user and professional).

I recommend Acer, ASUS, Toshiba, or Sony.

You can find a decent laptop for $500. (mine was 250 GB and 2 GB RAM, decent others.)

You could also go for a netbook. Decent ones can go for $300
If life gives you a melon... you might be dyslexic.

I'm a ninja, you see me somewhere in the for-

Picture this, you're on an empty beach, scanning it, and you think Wow, this would be a great place for a ninja vaca-

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

The Sony Vaio is more then enough for things your gonna do with it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Get the Sony and never think about getting a Mac. If you're that concerned about getting viruses, download Google Chrome along with the Adblock and Web of Trust add-ons.

I don't mean to talk down to you or anything, but the best antivirus in the world is to not get the viruses in the first place. No antivirus software is 100% effective. The best thing you can do is learn safe browsing habits. This is crucial no matter what OS you're using.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 Simon Clarke

Simon Clarke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

While I always prefer PCs on price and versatility, I would never get a Sony because of their poor support, compared with Dell or HP. Try downloading a service manual for a Sony.

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Another vote for the PC.

On the virus issue...If you take a few hours when you first get the PC to setup automatic updates on a good (popular isn't always better) anti virus software and schedule atleast weekly scans, you should be OK with a PC. My personal favorite internet security suite is Kaspersky but others such as AVG or Norton should do the trick aswell.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products-services/home-computer-security/internet-security

As someone else said, no anti virus software will stop 100% of all attacks. Your best defense is to limit exposure to things as much as possible (ex: don't download illegal software/music, stay away from scam or spam looking sites, use ad blocker when possible).

Edited by NpaMA, 29 February 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#9 fruch

fruch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Mac has had this "don't get viruses" rep for some time, but the bubble has burst. Read this if you think getting a Mac will protect you from getting infected.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/04/mac-os-x-report-virus-infects-600000-computers/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users