Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Stops

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Leslie

Andrew Leslie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

Ok guys, I'm having a very strange issue, never really seen it before in the 4 years I've worked with computers.
I will be listening to YouTube and playing a game (minecraft) while having a Skype conversation.

All is working fine, no cpu spikes, no high memory, then everything just stops.
All audio is cut, all screens display what they had and nothing more (no update/movement), the mouse doesn't move and keyboard does not respond either.
According to the hard drive activity light, there is no activity either.

Pressing the reset button on the case has no effect until pressed about four/five times in which then the computer will reset.

System log has no relevant data on the complete stop, crash happened around 5:15PM and no log between 4:57:56PM - 5:26:36PM except for Logons and Logoffs.

Will be picking up canned air and removing all dust from the machine to rule out over heating.

This is not really a constant issue, just keeps happening randomly, no really pattern.

Specs:
Motherboard: EVGA x58 SLI LE
CPU: i7 920 2.67GHz (Clocked at 2.65GHz)
RAM: 3x2GB DRR3 (OCZ3X1333LV2G)
Stock Cooling
Case: V9 Black Edition VJ400G1N2Z
Power Supply: Unknown (750 or 850 Watt)
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 460 (N460GTX Twin Frozr II [768 MB GDDR5]), ZOTAC GeForce 9500 GT (1 GB DDR2)
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 akwe-xavante

akwe-xavante

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

First thing to do if i were you is backup backup backup everything on the hard drive thats important to you onto some other external medium.

My experience is that when something like this happens and theres no record in the windows log file it means that an error message could not be written to the log file on the hard drive.

This could be because the hard drive no longer exists on the system, it stopped working, it switched off, or information in the memory dissapeared.

An intermittent problem is always the worst to diagnose.

What make, model, size and age is your hard drive?

It is my experience that larger hard drives fail far more quickly than smaller ones. Laptop hard drives have a much shorter life than those fitted inside a desktop / tower.

Identify the make and model, visit the manufacturers website and download there diagnostcs tool, follow instructions on how to use it and use it to run tests on your hard drive.

If your hard drive fails tests this doesn't nessesarily mean that its faulty, it may mean that the tool lost communication with the drive.

Make sure that power is getting to the drive at all times and the communication cable is in good condition and fits snuggly

You could also run Scandisk or Checkdisk, same thing.

If you have a perminent problem the cause can be found easily, if you have an irregular problem it can be a nightmare.

Just because tests pass doesn't mean the item being tested is OK, it just means it passed those tests on that occasion. For something to fail it must be faulty at the very moment the test is being performed!

#3 Andrew Leslie

Andrew Leslie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

(Hard drive list is below)

I just had the same issue once again, this time, Skype, MineCraft and Spotify had been running.
When a voice chat on Skype had been accepted the computer stopped once again.
Normally when a main hard drive is disconnected it would start experiencing errors and then Blue Screen which isn't what this is doing.
I'm not getting a single error message at all.

Most of my information is on a different hard-drives altogether.

Bought Dates:
1.5TB - ST315000341AS - 11/27/2009 - Main Hard Drive (Windows)
2.0TB - ST320000542AS - 11/25/10
500GB - ST3500320AS - Unknown (Older then 4 years)
1.0TB - ST10000LM010-9YTH146 - Unknown (Older then 3 years)

I'll check on the tests this weekend.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

Use MemTest86+ to test your memory for failure.

• Download the latest version of the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip).
  • Locate the file you downloaded, right-click it and select Extract All. Check the box for Show extracted files when complete. Click Extract.
  • Burn the ISO file to a CD. Follow the instructional link if this is new to you.
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD. Repeatedly pressing F9 or F12 right after the computer is turned on is the most common way to bring up the 'boot device' menu. Choose the CD/DVD option and press Enter.
  • Memtest86+ will begin testing automatically and is designed to repeat its tests continuously. It is recommended that you allow the program to complete at least 7 'passes' before declaring the memory error-free.
    • Note: These tests can be very lengthy, often lasting many hours.
  • If Memtest finds an error, it will list it in red. There is no need to continue that test if an error is found. You may either press Esc to reboot or you may simply turn the computer off.
  • If there are errors and you are comfortable working inside the computer, begin narrowing down the error result by removing every stick of RAM except for the one closest to the CPU. Begin step #4 again. After the test, shut the computer down, remove the RAM stick, put the next one in its place, and retest. Repeat this pattern for each RAM stick.
  • Report your findings in your next reply.

====================================================

Perform diagnostics on your hard drive.

• If you can log into Windows:

• Click the Start Orb and type in "device manager." In the search results, double-click device manager.
    • Double-click Disk Drives. The first drive listed is most likely the one you want to test.
    • Take note of its manufacturer (Samsung, Western Digital (WD), Seagate (ST), Toshiba, Hitachi, etc.)
      • If are still uncertain about your hard drive's manufacturer, include what you see there in your next reply and await further instructions.
    • Use this thread to download the appropriate diagnostic tool.
    • If you are unsure what to download or how to proceed, use SeaTools for Windows. Carefully read and follow the procedure given on that page.
  • If you cannot log into Windows:

• If you haven't already, include your computer's manufacturer and model number in your next reply.
    • Use SeaTools for DOS. Carefully read and follow the procedure given on that page.
  • Whatever program you use, direct it to perform a 'short-test'. If it passes, perform a 'long-test'. This will likely take a few hours.
  • Report the results in your next reply.

=============================================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 17 January 2012 - 07:58 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 akwe-xavante

akwe-xavante

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:22 AM

Temporarily remove all hard drives except the drive that windows is installed on.

Use it for a few days, does the problem continue?

All your hard drives are big!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big hard drives fail very quickly, you have a failing / faulty hard drive in my opinion, all you need to do is identify which one it is.

If the computer continues to freeze with just this one drive in, leave all the others out until you are sure where your problem is. Test the hard drive several times.

If the problem does not happen again with just the one drive installed, add ONE drive at a time and use the computer for a few days. With two drives in does the problem return?

So on every few days until you identify the failing / faulty drive.

It still could be a memory problem or indeed any other problem though but my bet is it's a failing hard drive.

What have got in the windows log files, are there any error messages refering to disks?

Edited by akwe-xavante, 18 January 2012 - 04:27 AM.

#6 joneonly4u

joneonly4u

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

For any game must use game pad...

#7 Andrew Leslie

Andrew Leslie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

For any game must use game pad...

How does that even help?

Any way I would like to say, after blowing the dust out of the computer everything appears fine. Ran a memory test and it came back with no issues.

Solved. - Dust can do very odd things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users