Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Restrictions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently changed from a Westell (C90-610014-06)DSL Modem with a Linksys WRT54G ver 8 to an all in one Westell Model 7500 (A90-750022-07). The reason for the change was that I increased my max speed to 10 mbps from 3. The tech from CenturyLink told me that the old modem was slowing me down, so he replaced it (for free, thanks!).

One feature that I really needed on the Linksys was the "Access Restrictions" tab. I have 3 teenage sons, so I like to know that the internet goes to sleep during the school week when they are supposed to! I also wanted to make sure that with all of the iPod's and tablets and gaming systems, they all lost access at 10PM.

I had the Linksys set up to deny access 10PM to 11:55PM Sun-Th. In addition, I had access denied from 12AM to 6AM Mon-Fri. I set this up to deny access to any computer XX.XX.XX.100 through 150 which are the addresses that my DHCP served up. I set up MY computers outside of that range so I was not restricted!

I also have K9 Blue Coat installed on all PC's in the house to filter content. I know there are some settings in there, but I have to set it up per computer, and it will not work on Xbox, PS3 or ipods.

Now, with the all-in-one, I cannot find a way to put these settings in place, again. Does anyone know of some software I can install INTO the router to set this up? Can I install software on the one computer that is wired and restrict all other traffic? Should I add my Linksys into this setup just for the features that I want? Does this create any other issues?

I would appreciate any and all input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

There is also Family Shield from OpenDNS...I have read good and bad reviews on this family filter... but you can block internet access on Wii, XBox and PS3 with it.

#3 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have looked into that one, but it doesn't allow me the flexibility to limit access to "all but" certain computers. I have 2 computers and an ipad that I set up with static IP (XX.XX.XX.151 to 200). I had the Linksys set up to stop all access to computers XX.XX.XX.100 to 150 (DHCP server).

Am I missing that feature? Any other ideas?

I recently flashed the WRT54G with DD-WRT. Can something like that be done to the combo Westell?

#4 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Sorry I could not help you more...

I would try posting that question to Westell support, they should have the answer for you.

#5 aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hey Bomber, I am in the same boat as you, same router, near same problem.

Were you ever able to get DD-WRT installed on your Westell 7500?

#6 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

No, DD-WRT cannot be flashed to a combo unit like that. I planned to set up the Linksys as my wireless server and turn off the Westell wireless, but had all sorts of trouble. I guess I gave up! Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users