Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb .30 card upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 parula

parula

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade my computer, MSI P7N SLI motherboard, with
Two (2) PCI Express x16 slots
One (1) PCI Express x1 slot
Two (2) PCI slots
by adding a usb 3.0 card. The cards that I have seen do not look like any slots on my motherboard but they state that they are pci express cards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

If your mainboard is in fact a P7N SLI, the MSI website has its specifications as three PCIe x16 slots (2 of which are 8 lane) and no x1 slot.

http://eu.msi.com/product/mb/P7N-SLI.html#/?div=Basic

If so, the USB 3.0 card which will have a x1 PCIe connector (throttles the USB3, but that's another story), can be fitted to one of the light blue 8 lane x16 slots.

Edited by Platypus, 16 January 2012 - 06:34 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 parula

parula
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:30 AM

thanks, just wasn't sure because they don't look like the slot, didn't know if they could be fitted. Slower speed is still faster than what currently is available with usb 2 and firewire 400 which is all I have.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

You're welcome. PCIe cards of lesser lane rating can be fitted to slots of higher rating, so a x1 card can go in a x4 slot, x4 card in an x8 slot etc.

And yes, even with the x1 lane restriction the USB 3.0 will have much higher potential transfer rate than USB 2 or Firewire 400.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users