Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootup Problems ,no Modes Work, A Continuous Loop.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 martin de beer

martin de beer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:11 AM

hi everyone! please could someone give me a possible solution to my problem:

wed night pc shuts down on its own. it then started shutting down more frequently. did system scan using norton 2006, it shut down during online virus check at symentec, checked all threats ie sassar etc removal tools but found nil.[
tried to get to safe mode through F8 to do a virus scan...but the pc did not want to bootup in safe mode,so i tried msconfig, clicked safe mode and restarted windows.and now all bootup modes do not work.its in a constant loop.
if i have a hardware/motherboard problem do u think i will still be able to retrieve my data from my d -drive.

thanking u in advance!

u know how it goes...after the 2 year garantee all hell breaks loose
P4 Titan Motherboard
GA-8lD533 series
intel 845GL chipset

Edited by martin de beer, 11 February 2006 - 08:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:13 PM

You may have a problem with overheating. When running an av scan or defragging hard drive or similar tests you are running the processor and hard drive hard. When system starts overheating it will shut down. You can download programs that will give you internal temperatures, but simplest way is to open computer, clean out any dust, make sure fan is not blocked. Leave side panel off and reboot. Try an av scan and see if it shuts down or not.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:23 PM

Do you have a Windows full install disk or a restore disk from the computer manufacturer?

If it is a restore disk is it capable of limited restore or does it reformat the disk and reinstall everything as when the computer was new? (You can boot with it and see what choices it gives you if any)

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 February 2006 - 04:23 PM.

#4 martin de beer

martin de beer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:32 PM

hi all!

thanks for the replies!
this is what i have done but with no success...

My pc is getting a blue screen error on boot and the PC is rebooting automatically.

I had to use a digital camera to capture the quick displaying error:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage .."

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

It appears to be a hardware error (CPU or motherboard?)

I have:

1. Reinstalled XP with the repair option.

2. Disconnected the second hard drive.

3. Disconnected the CD & DVD drives

4. Removed he PCI cards: modem & video editor.

5. Removed and swapped the memory cards.

But it still gives the error and reboots.

any other suggestions before i replace the motherboard?

Edited by martin de beer, 15 February 2006 - 12:33 PM.

#5 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:59 PM

Is there anything else in the error message? a string of numbers say.

There is obviously a hardware problem, but the most important thing is to save your files.

Can you try removing hard drive, setting as slave and putting it in another computer. That way you can back up your files while figuring out what has happened. If you install in another computer and can't read the drive, then that would be a pretty good indicator that the problem is related to drive failure.

To set your drive as slave requires moving one or two tiny blocks, aka jumpers. The directions should be on the drive itself, if not consult the manufacturer's website.

#6 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:16 PM

This links looking for a cpu over heat. Would be suprised if it overheated quick enough to give the error from a cold boot but if the fan on the cpu was gone it 'perhaps' could happen. Worth checking that out i suppose. See if the temp in the bios looks hot. If it does check the fan is running also if there is much dirt inside as this can increase the heat.

g

EDIT: I would have a go at running some diagnostic software on that machine something like the Ultimate Boot CD to check out the memory. Could also be a dodgy PSU

Edited by Sprite_Feedback, 15 February 2006 - 02:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users