Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Squares in MSCONFIG File / Slow Running PC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 AnnK48

AnnK48

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi,

My laptop is running extremely low. I have Malwarebytes and MicroSoft Security installed, but I think I may have a virus on it.

I have looked in my start-up programs and I have two line items with squares. When I uncheck them and restart computer, I get now 4 files listed. I read on-line to uninstall Malwarebyes, so I did that. Then I read about the HiJack This program. I downloaded that and I have attached a txt file showing what is all listed.

Can you help me determine what of these programs I should check to "fix" with the HiJack This program?

Also, will this then fix how slow my computer is?

Thank you!

AnnKAttached File  hijackthis 01-15-121.txt   10.58KB   5 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 16 January 2012 - 02:35 PM.
Moved from XP to Malware Removal Logs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:48 AM

Hi,

You probably still used an older version of Malwarebytes. Newer versions don't have this.
Anyway, first of all, please UNCHECK the square boxes via msconfig first. Do NOT reboot!
Then, start HijackThis and look if the following entries have become visible now:

F3 - REG:win.ini: load=???
?
F3 - REG:win.ini: run=???
?

If so, check them in HijackThis and click the fix checked button.

Then,

Open notepad and copy and paste next present in the quotebox below in it:
(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\Load]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\Run]

Save this as fix.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
It should look like this: Posted Image
Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.

This will delete the 2 other ones being disabled my msconfig.

Your HijackThis log doesn't show anything malicious. It shows a lot of programs starting up with windows, which aren't really required to start up with Windows in the first place, so this explains the slow running. Also, since this is still XP, I assume this computer isn't that new anymore either, so it makes sense that after a while, a computer goes slow anyway.
Please read here for tips/suggestions for a slow computer: Help! My computer is slow!
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:00 AM

Hi,

Are you still with us?
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users