Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Tower Wont Display An Image on The Monitor, Even Though The Monitor Is On

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Phil2

Phil2

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Today I moved two of my PC's aroud, I took my Vista PC upstairs and my XP 'Home' (The one I'm having problems with) PC downstairs.

Before I turned them on I gave them both a good cleaning inside and out (As you're supposed to and not with anything damp). I used a hoover with a circular head to clean inside both, I know you're not supposed to do this as a small static charge can damage a motherbaord, but I've done it before and I'm careful and no harm was done.

However, when I set up and turned on the XP PC the monitor was saying: "No Signal". So I took the VDA lead out and reinserted it several times and it still didn't work.

The XP PC Tower itself does come on and the fans do work.

So I tried connecting some other monitors to the XP PC and it still didn't work. So I tried connecting the monitors to my Vista PC and they worked!

I checked inside the XP PC to see if I knocked any wires out of their sockets but I don't think I have. There are some lose ones but they've always been there to my recolection.

The XP PC itself was in top condition and barely any of the HDD was used. The only new thing I'd installed on it was SUPER Anti-Spyware to give it a cleaning on top of what I'd already done with Avast, MalwareBytes, Spybot Search & Destory and Spyware Blaster (I like to keep my machines clean).

Thank you in advance!

- Phil :)

Edited by Phil2, 16 January 2012 - 02:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

Did the monitor have any strange looking displays before you moved it? Do you have the monitor plugged into the tower? I know that seems ridiculous, but sometimes silly things happen.

Edited by Booh-kitty, 16 January 2012 - 02:01 PM.

Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#3 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

Did the monitor have any strange looking displays before you moved it? Do you have the monitor plugged into the tower? I know that seems ridiculous, but sometimes silly things happen.

Hello Boo Kitty! :)

Not at all! I'd just finished making it squeeky clean ready for general family use. There were no displays.

And yes, all the plugs are in and attached. Just the monitor comes on with a green light, then says: "No Signal" and it goes off and the light goes orange, all this while the PC tower is on.

#4 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

Just moving a computer must be done with much care. Hardware problems can be caused with with seemingly harmless 'bumps', setting it down 'too hard' and so forth.

The monitor itself is not receiving any signal from the 'tower'. Do you have another computer you can plug the monitor into? If it works with a different computer, there is likely a problem with the video card.

If you don't have another computer, would you happen to have an extra video card laying around?
-Henry Ford

#5 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

Oops! I didn't see all that stuff you said about what you did. Please let me read it and disregard my last reply
-Henry Ford

#6 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

Since the monitor works with another tower. I believe it's your video card. Probably that ESD from the vacuum cleaner.

I had a computer with bad integrated video card a few years ago. You don't have to replace the entire computer, just get a video card. I picked up a good used one for about $40 at a PC repair shop. You won't have to make any changes to settings on your PC. Just plug it in and turn it on.

Oh yeah, plug the VGA cable into the video card. I din't do that when I replaced the video card. Finally figured out what I did a couple of days later! :)
-Henry Ford

#7 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

I have a older PC with a working Video Card in it, do you think that would would sufice as I'm a little low on funds at the moment? It's from 2006 and the PC with the broken Video card is about the same date! My only worry is that the Video Cards look intergrated with the motherboard, I have taken motherboards and other bits and pieces out before, but I've never had to pay much attention to the video card area. Do you think it's 'do-able'? Or are my Motherboards from a time or company where the Video Cards are intergrated? By the way, these PC's were factory built, not home built.

You're points on moving PC's and and pluging the VGA cable in are well and truly noted! :)

#8 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Factory built PC's tend to have integrated video cards. An integrated one will be on the motherboard close the same area you plug in your monitor. See the black arrow in the pic.

Video cards are plugged into a slot under the CPU area. See the red arrow in the pic

Left click once on the image to see a larger display.

Attached Files

Edited by Booh-kitty, 16 January 2012 - 05:57 PM.

-Henry Ford

#9 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

If your other pc has a card, you should able to use it in the other one.
-Henry Ford

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

There other possible culprit of a no signal(if dekstop is responsive or booting)other than faulty cable, dedicated or onboard graphics is your RAM module. Use either one alternately to check for a possible bad stick. If display comes after each test, you will know which stick is faulty.

Tekken

#11 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

Computers are happier being bumped about than they are having a hoover shoved in them.

Compressed air if you must clean out, but DO NOT EVER use a hoover. You can't see or feel the static required to kill or damage components.

Try bench testing the motherboard. Unplug hard drives, PCI cards etc, just leaving the CPU and a stick of memory.

#12 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hey there Kitty,

I didn't even get to trying your suggestion because, would you believe it, it now works! Because 'jhayz's' suggestion was easier to do I tried that first and it seemed to work! But to double check it I swapped both RAM sticks about in different ports and also tried them on their own and with an extra stick of RAM I have, and it still worked! lol

I'm a bit stumpped by it! Would the RAM stick being loose have caused it to not display?

#13 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hey jhayz,

I tried what you suggested and it worked, but to double check I swapped both sticks around in different slots, on their own, together and with an extra RAM stick I have, and it works with them all! I checked the amount of RAM I had each time I inserted a stick and they all registered. So I'm not sure what caused it, unless it was a loose RAM stick?

#14 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

I've learned my lesson my friend! If I'd had compressd air I'd have used it, which is why I used a Hoover. I didn't even do it hard, but that's besides the point, it's STILL a BAD IDEA for anyone else reading this to try cleaning the inside of your PC with a Hoover! :crazy: <---- This is what you'll be if you do! lol

#15 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

I'm going to have to remember that RAM stick fix. I hadn't even thought of that causing a problem.

I saw another post in which he suggested the same thing for another issue and it fixed that one too.
-Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users