Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer breakdown?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Uninstaller

Uninstaller

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

I have a computer in my home, that didn't work from the moment I got it. It would boot fine, but would crash around 30 seconds after starting it. It just freezes, and nothing else happens. I am forced to hold down the power button. I have reinstalled around 5 times. Nothing seems to fix the problem. The strange part is that it mainly happens when connected to the Internet. Sometimes it would take around 5 minutes to freeze, but always in a very short amount of time. I noticed that the sound is very strange as well. When playing sound, it sounds robotic and unnatural. It typically will play the sound at a very loud volume, repeated over and over with a metallic sound to it. Also, when not connected to the Internet, it will still freeze. But it will freeze only when attempting to do a task other than just watch the desktop. It will also just immediately move to the BIOS screen, just cutting off whatever was happening before. Before that, however, it will perform very sluggishly, as in a full freeze, then recovery then freeze, so on, so forth. I am at a total loss as to what could be causing this issue. I am almost giving up, but I really need a desktop to use. I know the computer meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 7, and it has a fairly good processor. So if anyone knows what could be happening to this computer, please give me some help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'm assuming that you didn't recently purchase this computer new from a retailer? My guess it that it's your hard drive.

Diagnostic Tools Links to Manufacturers Utilities

Follow the above link. Click on the link for your HDD manufacturer and download the diagnostic tool for you HDD.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#3 Uninstaller

Uninstaller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

I'm currently using my laptop. Should I copy the diagnostic tool to removable media and then insert it into the affected computer, then copy it to the HDD and run it there?

#4 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Since the affected computer has trouble staying on, I would download the utility to a USB, or other device and then copy it onto the other computer. Just follow the directions on the screens when you open it up. Just let it run and see what results you get.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#5 Uninstaller

Uninstaller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

I've got a Hitachi DeskStar, so I have to use a bootable CD. Trying it now, and I'll report back later.

LATER: Sorry everyone, but the computer has decided to finally die completely. I have it hooked up perfectly fine, but pressing the power button does absolutely nothing. I can't get any response out of the computer other than the green power LED. Thanks for replying, and see you again in the future. 

Edited by Uninstaller, 16 January 2012 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users