Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up screen, but not booting SO

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Frost29

Frost29

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hello, I just got this computer to fix for my friend. It's a desktop HP 6650f with Vista, problem is he does not know what his kids did to it.
Description of problem is that when you try to start PC it only shows the initial screen with HP and boot menu, but gets stuck here and does not do anything else,to make matters worse, I am not able to use the keyboard and mouse at all. I already tried with a different keyboard and it just won't work, also tried using a recovery disk, but I guess the boot sequence is not on CD, because it won't load it and since the keyboard does not work I am not able to change it.I don't what else to try for now.
I've attached pic for reference. Thanks
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

Do you mean boots directly to Advanced boot menu and locks up? Can you go to BIOS setup? The attached image seems broken.

Tekken

#3 Frost29

Frost29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

No, when you start it up, it goes to the screen on picture above and from there it does not do anything.
The picture is not broken, the black part at the bottom of it is part of the monitor.

Edited by Frost29, 16 January 2012 - 09:53 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Try removing all USB devices, keyboard and mouse included. Can you go to BIOS setup to check on some information? Try reseatting the hard drive connection. Its either a software or hardware problem at this point.

Tekken

#5 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

As you are unable to get into the Bios, try tapping the F8 key as soon as you switch it on and see if that will take you to the Advanced Boot Menu.

If it does then follow this procedure to repair the boot sector, that should get it going again.

Select Command Prompt from the Advance Boot Menu.

Type bootrec.exe and press Enter. This will rebuild the boot configuration data and hopefully fix your problem. You can also run the command with switches to fix just the master boot record (/fixmbr), the boot sector (/fixboot), or rebuild the entire BCD (/rebuildbcd). Always leave a space before the /.

If Bootrec runs successfully, it will present you with the installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes . A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.

If Bootrec cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order shown below: (Remember to press ENTER after each command)

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

- Restart the computer.

Let us know how this goes and quote any error messages in your next post.

#6 Frost29

Frost29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

Mark, as I mentioned on my post, keyboard does not work at all. I just took PC to a shop for a better opinion and they said problem is a bad motherboard.

As you are unable to get into the Bios, try tapping the F8 key as soon as you switch it on and see if that will take you to the Advanced Boot Menu.

If it does then follow this procedure to repair the boot sector, that should get it going again.

Select Command Prompt from the Advance Boot Menu.

Type bootrec.exe and press Enter. This will rebuild the boot configuration data and hopefully fix your problem. You can also run the command with switches to fix just the master boot record (/fixmbr), the boot sector (/fixboot), or rebuild the entire BCD (/rebuildbcd). Always leave a space before the /.

• If Bootrec runs successfully, it will present you with the installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes . A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.

• If Bootrec cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order shown below: (Remember to press ENTER after each command)

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

- Restart the computer.

Let us know how this goes and quote any error messages in your next post.

Edited by Frost29, 18 January 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#7 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

I just thought you may not have tried F8 before the PC got stuck at the HP logo screen. Sorry to hear it was such a bad outcome.

#8 Frost29

Frost29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thank you all for trying to help anyways!!

I just thought you may not have tried F8 before the PC got stuck at the HP logo screen. Sorry to hear it was such a bad outcome.

#9 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Your welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users