Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Unknown Disk' in Windows XP setup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anotherchinaski

anotherchinaski

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

For a while my computer has refused to start Windows. It would get to the screen with the Windows logo and then no further.

I have not replaced any of the hardware since I bought it, and as far as I am aware this problem came on the back of nothing. (It didn't follow any installation of software or hardware.)

Since there is nothing of too much importance on it I decided to reinstall Windows, but after the setup had started it reached the screen from which I was to choose which drive to install Windows to and each was listed as "Unknown Disk." Pressing any button resulted in a blue screen.

If I even attempt to load without using the disk I just get a black screen prompting me to enter the setup disk.

I am currently at work and so cannot post the precise specifications of my computer, though I will as soon as I get home.

In the meantime I gather that I need to look in BIOS to see if my hard drive is being recognised?

I have Googled this problem but each response was slightly over my head, since I'm not sure what type of harddrive I have (though I will once I get home, I have all the documentation).

Though I do not consider myself too dense when it comes to computers, I am not confident enough to fiddle about in BIOS without instructions.

I would like to thank you in advance for any help that you can provide, it would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

In the meantime I gather that I need to look in BIOS to see if my hard drive is being recognised?

Its the first ways to check if the hard drive is still usable in reinstalling your operating system. Please check this and provide the error when it goes bluescreen on setup.

Tekken

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

You were going to supply the make and model number of your computer.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users