Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to clear HD of security software, just won't happen!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 robthethief

robthethief

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

I acquired a computer not that long ago, and to my disappointment I found it had protection on it from a rental company. I won't tell you which one (just in case) but I can tell you that I've wiped the hard drive and it didn't get rid of the protection. It's an activation protection from the company that sold the machine. It requires authentication to it's home network, but I obviously want to get rid of any trace of this. It won't even let me load a windows install program, I keep getting the blue screen, and it keeps telling me that it has a virus. I know that it doesn't though, it's just the lock from the company. Does anyone have any advice for me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 robthethief

robthethief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

bump

#3 robthethief

robthethief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Please help! I'm desperate here, I really don't want to sacrifice a 1TB Barracuda.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

I don't know how anybody here...can tell you about a mechanism that is installed by some unnamed company, in some unknown manner.

You have provided very little info to evaluate, IMO...you haven't even told us who the computer manufacturer is and the system model, nor described any error messages.

I suggest that you start with those items and it would not hurt to tell us exactly how this mechanism "stops" you from installing Windows.

<<I keep getting the blue screen, and it keeps telling me that it has a virus.>>

Again...some details (exact) might be more enlightening.

Louis

#5 robthethief

robthethief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Sorry, I'm just being overly paranoid about it. The tower is an HP. It comes from one of the Rent To Own companies. When I first fired it up, it came to a red screen with box to type in a password at the bottom. It said the computer had been locked because of a lack of communication to the network. If you're wondering, this computer was left by a previous tenant of the apartment I live in, and I think they didn't pay their bill for it, it locked up and they left it. So what happens is when I try to reinstall windows it almost completes the loading when it comes up with a blue screen error. It's acting as if parts of the MBR are locked due to a virus. Here's exactly what it says:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time, blah blah blah.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

**** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

That's all it says. I've tried using several tools to zero the drive, but it doesn't take. It still thinks the drive is messed up. Please let me know if there is any other information that would help.

#6 robthethief

robthethief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

I'm also just wondering, is this topic posted in the right place? This is my first time on this forum and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

Sorry, I'm just being overly paranoid about it. The tower is an HP. It comes from one of the Rent To Own companies. If you're wondering, this computer was left by a previous tenant of the apartment I live in, and I think they didn't pay their bill for it, it locked up and they left it.

Since there is the possibility that the previous tenant did not pay the bill for the computer we cannot help you with this. If he/she did not the computer is still the property of the rent to own company and they will consider the computer stolen. If they put security measures on there it was for a reason and we will not help you defeat those measures.

Bleeping Computer Rules state

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.