Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP freezing

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Recently I have had some issues with my desktop becoming non-responsive. When it happens it is a complete freeze, not just a Firefox window. No keyboard strokes our mouse clicks register. Sometimes it may "catch up" and perform all the clicks I did while it was frozen. If it doesn't I am forced to do a hard reboot at the tower. Also sometimes when I boot up it hangs and the Starting Windows screen doesn't appear. This also requires a hard boot.

I run XP Pro with SP3 32bit. I keep it fully updated and run FF 9.0.1 I also run Malwarebytes Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spybot S&D, ZoneAlarm, CCleaner and System Mechanic.

I have an Intel Mobo and Dual Core 3.0Ghz cpu and 4G ram. Cores typically running about 36 degrees C.Also Have a 500gb and 120 GB HDD, plus a 3rd 160GB with Mac OSX but it is not connected.

There have been no hardware changes in over a year, and only minor software. Mostly just keeping things updated.

Any suggestions?

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jholland1964

jholland1964

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

It sounds as if you possibly have too many processes running in the background. Have you tried booting the computer to safe mode to see if the same issues occur?
You say you run Malwarebytes Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spybot S&D, ZoneAlarm but you don't mention an anti-virus program, what anti-virus program are you running? All of those other programs have a realtime protection portion that run all the time in the background, those along with all other programs running could be causing your issue also. Try turning off the realtime portions of those programs, with the exception of the anti-virus program (whatever that is) and firewall and see how things run. What portions of SpyBot are you running? Immunize, TeaTimer? If you are running those also turn those off.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) I didn't see mention of an AV app - is there one installed?

#4 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

Been at work all day, thanks for the replies. Yes I have Avast! A/V as well. I only have MBAM and ZA running realtime. SAS runs scheduled scans. I didn't realize TeaTimer was on, and have turned it off. Avast is the most recent installation. System Mechanic about 2 months ago, but the issue started about 2 weeks ago. I regularly look at startup processes in Spybot to try to avoid unnecessary ones, like Quiktime. The past few weeks possibly a FF update and windows update. These are set to notify only and I download when ready. The only thing that has has shown up in scans are normal cookies type things.

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data

#5 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

ok so it froze a minute ago. I did notice this time that there was a beep from the tower, when it happened. Like ones you sometimes get during a POST. I had Firefox open with 6 tabs and The Intel Appup store app was opening. When it beeped once, everything froze, a waited a couple minutes and had to hard boot again.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Did this happen before you installed ZA? If not, did it start happening shortly after? I ask because ZA doesn't work & play well with some systems.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

Test the hard drive with the manufacturers diagnostics.
Back up your data asap just in case.

You might have a hard drive that is failing.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

Allan, I have had ZA for a over 10 years actually. Doubt that's the issue.

Eyesee, I will do that. The smaller hd is about 2 years old and the 500 is about 6 months old. I will use WD software to check them. System Mechanic and Windows both check them and find them ok. I will post results after.

Thanks for the suggestions

Michael

#9 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

There was an issue with the newest update for Malwarebytes and ZA, not sure what problems it caused, here is the article. http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=103600 .

#10 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

Jelerak

I did have an issue with Malwarebytes, where I got an error. It wouldn't load, and I had to do the clean and reinstall. That fixed that, but maybe that is the issue. However, that article references problems updating, but I didn't see anything about freezing. But I will look into that, too. thanks

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hi -
If you have the paid version of Z.A. and feel that you're problems with MBAM are not a worry, then there has been a few problems with iolo System-mechanic.
Have you been running iolo for very long, and if you uninstall it, is your system running any better ??

It can be easier to uninstall these extras one at a time and see the results (IObit System Care is a case in point).

Thank You -

#12 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:49 AM

It's the free ZA. I have had System Mechanic intalled for 2 months. Used it of and on for quite a few years when I can get a rebate for it. Running hard drive scan s now and will try uninstalling it and run a week without it.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,400 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

I would suggest uninstalling System Mechanic and similar programs.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#14 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

Uninstalled SM, also scanned hard drives with WD software. No errors. Still freezing.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Let's get some system data.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users