Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jumpy mouse and overall slow computer with a fresh install of xp home

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 lapays

lapays

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Just bought this computer from craigslist and installed a fresh copy of xp home and I installed all the correct drivers AFAIK but it's going way slower then it should be.

So the computer is just really sluggish, if i start doing anything the mouse will be get jumpy.

If theres a program i need to download to tell you my system specs let me know.

The computer is a dell optiplex 320 dual core 3.0GHz per core with 1g of ram and integrated ati xpress 200 graphics.

Even with the bad integrated graphics there is no way it should run this bad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Did you install the chipset driver and video driver?

Open device manager - any yellow or red symbols?

#3 lapays

lapays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

Did you install the chipset driver and video driver?

Open device manager - any yellow or red symbols?

Yes I've done all that. No red or yellow.

Edited by lapays, 16 January 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

1) Before installing the OS did you format the drive? Did you delete and recreate any partition(s)?

2) Did you install an Anti Virus app that runs resident?

3) Open Task Manager to the Processes Tab. Sort on the CPU column with highest usage at the top. When the system slows down or the mouse gets "jumpy", which process is spiking?

#5 lapays

lapays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

1) Before installing the OS did you format the drive? Did you delete and recreate any partition(s)?

2) Did you install an Anti Virus app that runs resident?

3) Open Task Manager to the Processes Tab. Sort on the CPU column with highest usage at the top. When the system slows down or the mouse gets "jumpy", which process is spiking?

I did a quick format because the normal format got stuck at 56% the first time and yes i deleted the partition

I've checked the processes and nothing really jumps at all which is wierd. system idle process is at always at 85-99%

no anti-virus installed.

Edited by lapays, 16 January 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

1) The fact that a regular format "got stuck" would indicate a potential problem with the hard drive. Boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r

2) System Idle is supposed to be as close to 100% as possible. When it's at 85, what process is eating the rest of the cycles?

3) Without an anti virus app you are open to all sorts of virus / trojan / other malware problems. I suggest you do the following:

Run the checkdisk on the hd and make sure there's no problem there (but there may well be)
Then reinstall the OS, starting with deleting and recreating the partition and doing a full format
Install the OS
Install all drivers, starting with the chipset driver
Install a GOOD AV app
Go to Windows / Microsoft Update and make sure you have all current updates (also make sure you are running SP3)

#7 lapays

lapays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

1) The fact that a regular format "got stuck" would indicate a potential problem with the hard drive. Boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r

2) System Idle is supposed to be as close to 100% as possible. When it's at 85, what process is eating the rest of the cycles?

3) Without an anti virus app you are open to all sorts of virus / trojan / other malware problems. I suggest you do the following:

Run the checkdisk on the hd and make sure there's no problem there (but there may well be)
Then reinstall the OS, starting with deleting and recreating the partition and doing a full format
Install the OS
Install all drivers, starting with the chipset driver
Install a GOOD AV app
Go to Windows / Microsoft Update and make sure you have all current updates (also make sure you are running SP3)

i was just kinda guessing that it might get to 85% it's mostly 93% when running firefox and watching a youtube video.
Ok im going to do what you said and thanks for your help
Will the chkdsk fix the harddrive?

Edited by lapays, 16 January 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

Maybe, maybe not - depends on whether or not there are significant or major issues with the hd. Run it and let's see what happens.

#9 lapays

lapays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Ugh.... did the chkdsk and then tried to do a full format.. stuck at 56% again. :(

So am i screwed and need to buy a new HD?

Edited by lapays, 16 January 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Are you saying your ran chkdsk /r and it completed (again, you had to use the "/r" switch)?

#11 lapays

lapays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Are you saying your ran chkdsk /r and it completed (again, you had to use the "/r" switch)?

Yes, i went into the console recovery and did chkdsk /r

Is there any other way to fix my hard drive?

Edited by lapays, 16 January 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

If chkdsk /r completed successfully there may not be an issue with your hd. The difference between a quick format and a regular format is that during the latter, the system runs "chkdsk /r" on the partition or drive that you are formatting. If chkdsk /r completes when you run it independently for the format, I'm not sure why the format fails. One other thing you can try is to go to the website of your HD manufacturer, download their diagnostic utility, burn it to cd and run that. Let's see if it is an issue with the HD.

#13 lapays

lapays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

If chkdsk /r completed successfully there may not be an issue with your hd. The difference between a quick format and a regular format is that during the latter, the system runs "chkdsk /r" on the partition or drive that you are formatting. If chkdsk /r completes when you run it independently for the format, I'm not sure why the format fails. One other thing you can try is to go to the website of your HD manufacturer, download their diagnostic utility, burn it to cd and run that. Let's see if it is an issue with the HD.

no cd burner... anyway i was able to get past the full format by creating a partition with 40gb's instead of the full 80gb's.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Okay. So you just started from scratch and create a 40Gb partition and reinstalled the OS - is that correct? If so, go ahead and install all of the correct drivers starting with the chipset driver (get it from the Dell support website). Then let's see where we are.

#15 lapays

lapays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

This may sound odd but i just installed the chipset driver provided by dell and it seems to run slower then it did before i installed it... i might be imagining but who knows.. I'm installing the audio and video drivers dell provided now.

EDIT: There are multiple video drivers on the dell site for optiplex 320 and i dont know which one to use all i know is that it's a integrated graphics.

Edited by lapays, 16 January 2012 - 03:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users