Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD boot problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Uninstaller

Uninstaller

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

Hi, and thanks for reading. Recently, I've been having a problem with my computer regarding newer Linux distro CDs. My problem is that when I start up the CD for a new Linux distro, it will boot normally, and give me the option screen asking me what I want to do. I choose to boot from Live CD, and then it begins booting. I wait a while, but then my screen goes black and then fills with garbage. The interesting part is that the exact same screen appears no matter what CD I use. I have tried and get the same results with Ubuntu 11.10, Kubuntu 11.10, and openSUSE 12.1. I can also boot Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Kubuntu 10.04 LTS and Xubuntu 10.04 LTS perfectly, and in fact, have Ubuntu 10.04 installed along with Windows 7. I have attached a couple images showing what my screen looks like when it messes up. Sorry for the low quality, as I obviously couldn't take a screenshot. Any help is appreciated.

Image 1
Image 2

Edited by Uninstaller, 16 January 2012 - 02:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

Try burning the media slower. I haven't had that problem in some time, but I've had to slow burns way down to get them to work in the past. Even going all the way down to X2 in rare cases.

Make sure to check the md5sums on your downloads. You could be getting networking problems that corrupt the files without knowing it.

If the media you used that worked is different from the media you're using that doesn't work (including brand and type), get another kind and try it again. I had a drive that claimed to do DVD+/- and I had problems. I replaced the DVD+ with DVD- and it worked fine.

#3 Uninstaller

Uninstaller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the reply, stiltskin, and I followed your instructions. I had been using the same brand and type of CD, so that couldn't be the problem. I tried burning openSUSE again at 10X speed, (the lowest my drive supports) and got the same results. I had verified the sha1 hash, so that wasn't the problem either. If it's any help, I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M, and I have heard of this type of thing happening with NVIDIA graphics cards. I do have the option to enable VESA on the CD, so if I should try that let me know. Thanks.

EDIT: Selecting VESA prompted the same result, unfortunately.

Edited by Uninstaller, 16 January 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

It could be your burner is going out. I've lost a few myself.

Are you buring these on the linux or Windoze side? If only one, try the other. I used to get bad burns on Windows sometimes back when I used it. I've also had cases where a linux install (Ubuntu did it twice for sure, but I think I had it happen on another one time before there even was an Ubuntu) would work for awhile and then it was start failning on all burns. Try it on the other. You can also download the .iso and try burning it from a live session if you have two digital drives instead of just the one, or if you can boot a live one from a thumb drive.

I almost never burn CDs/DVDs any more. I work exclusively from my netbook and make bootable thumb drives whenever I want to start something new. It's even better than using rewriteable discs. On the rare occassions I burn anything, it's either music for my truck or something for someone else.

#5 Uninstaller

Uninstaller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

I'm burning all of my CDs on Windows, and know it's not my burner because I've successfully burned two Puppy Linux CDs, but I'll try burning on Linux and report back later.

EDIT: So, when I booted from the Ubuntu CD burned on Ubuntu, it began booting, then I got the same screen for about one second. The command line thing appeared, and I pressed the power button once. It began terminating all processes, then I got about 15 Nouveau timeout errors. It told me to remove the CD, then press enter. When I pressed enter, three symbols appeared on-screen. I tried again, and the same symbols appeared. So I pressed the power button again, and three different symbols appeared. I held it down and it powered off. Can someone explain this?

EDIT: I also tried Linux Mint, and it gave me a CD error.

Edited by Uninstaller, 16 January 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#6 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

This may not be relevant to your problem, but because it is so similar, I just wanted to post this information.

A few weeks ago ( on my Linux only machine ) I couldn't get any live cd/dvd to load/install. I kept getting black screens and a lot of ones similar to your pics - lots of rectangular colors, parts of the image loading here and there, and such. I suspected the problem to be with my ( onboard ) video. I knew the discs were ok because I had successfully used them before.I Googled a lot but couldn't come up with anything. FINALLY.... I did get an older cd to load and install ( MoonOs ). So, at this point I took my machine to the shop. I should mention that the shop I go to specializes in Linux.

They took a quick look at it, and as a test, they tried to run a HD video, and my machine froze up. So I left it so they could run all the bench tests on it. They called me a few days later and said all the tests proved ok, but - the tech noticed some noise coming from the power supply fan, so they were going to replace the fan. When they opened it up, they found a blown capacitor, so they replaced the power supply. Since I brought it home all the live cd/dvds load and install just fine. Problem solved!!!!!!

I don't know if the cap blew from excessive heat because of the defective fan, or a power surge. I hook my machines up to a battery backup/surge protector now.

I thought this was kind of an odd situation, so I just wanted to share it.

#7 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

RAM, power and burners can all have similar problems to what is described. I keep a spare power supply around just in case, just so I have one I can swap in if something starts getting screwy. I test memory with memtest+. And I'll check the burn on another machine to see what happens if both test OK. Ihaven't had to do that on my own machines since I started booting from thumb drives, but I still have to follow those steps with my son's machine.

I once had a dual-boot machine (a long, long time ago, when I personally used Winders). The Windoze side would boot, run for awhile, then lock up. The linux side would kernel panic during boot. I traced it to bad memory. I also concluded from that (and a few problems with my son's machine) that Windwoes isn't very good at helping to narrow down hardware faults. Like I determined with his current machine having a motherboard problem, which MS' kludge OS didn't help at all in locating.

#8 Uninstaller

Uninstaller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Bumping thread. The problem has not been resolved as of yet. In fact, I just attempted to boot into Fedora 15 and got the same result as before. Any advice would be appreciated.

#9 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,984 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

the iso you are trying to burn was it from a 64 or 32 bit download. that might make a difference if you have a 32 bit machine and download a 64 bit iso it might not work. just a shot in the dark. there should be both 32 and 64 bit isos avail to download.
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#10 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,984 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

here is a link for ubuntu 11.04 note you can toggle from 32 to 64 for the download

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#11 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all of the releases you've mentioned use Gnome 3? There may be something not working with your graphics card and that. What graphics card do you have? And also (I didn't see it above, but you may already have) did you try burning the cd's with another burner?

EIDT: Just realized you tried Kubuntu and others with the same result...sorry :/ (Although it might be the version of X.org that all of them use.

Edited by A Future Pilot, 17 February 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#12 Uninstaller

Uninstaller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Sorry for the long wait. I'm burning 64-bit ISOs, although I know for a fact I do have a 64-bit processor. The processor in question is an Intel Core i7 processor, at 1.6 GHz. I seem to have a decent graphics card, but in case that is the problem, I'll list my system specs here.

RAM: 12.0 GB of RAM

Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor @ 1.6 GHz

Graphics Card: NViDIA GeForce GTS 360M; 1 GB of VRAM

Hard Drive: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 SATA 3Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

#13 Uninstaller

Uninstaller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

I'll bump my thread one more time, just to see if I can get last-minute help.

#14 Uninstaller

Uninstaller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

Absolute final time I'm going to post here. It's just that I'm a bit desperate now. After trying out Fedora for a long while inside of virtual machines, I actually want to switch completely from Windows to Fedora. I can only do so if I get this problem fixed for obvious reasons. Please help!

#15 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Sorry for the long wait. I'm burning 64-bit ISOs, although I know for a fact I do have a 64-bit processor. The processor in question is an Intel Core i7 processor, at 1.6 GHz. I seem to have a decent graphics card, but in case that is the problem, I'll list my system specs here.

RAM: 12.0 GB of RAM

Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor @ 1.6 GHz

Graphics Card: NViDIA GeForce GTS 360M; 1 GB of VRAM

Hard Drive: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 SATA 3Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

I'm no Linux genius, but perhaps I can point you in the right direction. You have a nVidia card, as I do, but a different model, and lately Linux and nVidia has not been playing together very well. I went through the same problem.
One question, did you try using it in the tryout mode first? (Assuming it could boot that way). If you can, make sure you have an internet connection and when you go to to install it to the hard drive; any updates for the GPU may install.

I have Ubuntu 12.04 and it wouldn't install unless I did it as described above. After that it was another problem with the Grub 2 bootloader, the resolution was all screwed up, giving me an "Input not Supported" message dancing across the screen. Please let me know how it works for you.

Edited by Bezukhov, 13 September 2012 - 07:27 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users