Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet works but not browsers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 raiden1701

raiden1701

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Lately when I try connecting with any browser it says I can't like the internet is unplugged. But I can download and install Windows 7 updates. I was maybe thinking it was a virus so I installed Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Malwarebytes wouldn't update but SAS would. It had AVG anti-virus 2011 and I uninstalled it with the Windows built in uninstaller. Then I tried using "avg remover 64 bit" and I got the message "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running" which is strange because I have the 64 bit version of Windows. I got suspicious and tried running TDSSKiller.exe, rkill.com and some other AV programs but got the same "the version...". I read in a couple of searches that it's probably a virus and since I can't run any AV stand alone program, I suspect it is. When I ran Malwarebytes and SAS, it showed no virus's which I don't believe. Also everything in the Network and Sharing Center is totally normal showing that all is working fine. So if I can't run any of my anti-trojan, etc. programs, I can't see what it might be. This does the same in Safe Mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

Which browser are you using?

It sounds like a virus might have changed your connection settings. Most commonly people don't use any sort of proxy. It's possible a virus could have altered your settings. By default Internet Explorer is set to auto detect. Here is a guide to disable the proxy. http://www.ehow.com/how_6347299_disable-proxy-settings.html

Edited by Lefty3120, 16 January 2012 - 03:50 AM.

#3 raiden1701

raiden1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

All proxy settings are set to off. No change.

#4 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

SAS has built in repair options for correcting connection issues. If the repair is not successful I suggest going to the Am I Infected section an start a new thread.

#5 Lesshirl

Lesshirl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

If you are using IE you might consider resetting IE back to default settings.
Open IE select Tools; Internet Options; Select Advanced Tab; then click the Reset button in the "Reset Internet Explorer settings"
Cheers

#6 raiden1701

raiden1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Sorry for the delay, but I realized this problem has only been here for a week. So I did a system restore (in normal moded) to about 2 weeks ago but the restore got hung up for too long (something about the registry) so I restarted and ran the fix start option. So I guess the restore didn't work and I'm still where I was at the other days.

Here are some notes:

-running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
-Only 64 bit IE9 works
-trying to run AV programs like TDSSkiller and rkill.com give a message saying file is not compatible with the version of Win 7 i'm running, unless I need the 64bit versions which I've never needed before
-everything seems normal connection wise (wired and wireless), but Chrome says in options that it is using a proxy to connect, but when I go to change it, it is not set to proxy, just the normal settings
-seems like a sneaky virus, but is it?
-I've run all the anti-virus programs I can, including all the ones mentioned
-malwarebytes won't update but SAS will

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

malwarebytes won't update but SAS will
trying to run AV programs like TDSSkiller and rkill.com give a message saying file is not compatible

Hi -
As you have not been able to run several diagnostic programs, it may be time to post in the area linked below, as Lefty said earlier -.
Please be patient and follow any "Pinned" directions in the heading as someone will assist you further soon.
Am I infected? What do I do? Here an expert will look a bit deeper at your problem
If you can, please leave a link to this thread so they can see what has been done -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 17 January 2012 - 03:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users