Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem repairingand/or doing fresh win xp pro installation

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 vhatever

vhatever

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

I keep getting this stupid error about an internal setup error and to contact the system adminstrator. Both trying to repair and fresh install give the same error. I'm booting from the CD drive and installing from there as well, obviously.

I'm soooo getting a mac for my next computer.

This is what the lieing morons at micro$oft claim:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316425

Supposedly incompatible hardware, which is nonsense. Everything is entirely compatible.

Mod Edit: Merged topics ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 17 January 2012 - 11:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

Don't blame Microsoft, this will be a problem with your PC and all PC's go wrong now and again including Macs.

Please post the exact error that you are receiving and the specs of your PC, make and model number, laptop or desktop.

Are you using a genuine or burned copy of Windows XP, what service pack does it include and what service pack is installed on the PC?

What problems are you having with the PC that has prompted you to run a Repair install?

#3 vhatever

vhatever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

Don't blame Microsoft, this will be a problem with your PC and all PC's go wrong now and again including Macs.

Please post the exact error that you are receiving and the specs of your PC, make and model number, laptop or desktop.

Are you using a genuine or burned copy of Windows XP, what service pack does it include and what service pack is installed on the PC?

What problems are you having with the PC that has prompted you to run a Repair install?

"Setup Cannot Set the Required Windows XP Configuration Information. This indicates an internal setup error. Contact your system administrator"

The computer has service pack 3 installed, and the windows CD is geniune as well as being service pack 3 as well.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00679533&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3184140

I tried doing a clean windows install(no formating though) after my computer started rebooting itself for no reason and I couldn't find a good explination for the behaviour. Tried repair first, got the error, tried new/clean install and got it again.

Edited by vhatever, 16 January 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

What led up to your efforts...to repair/reinstall XP?

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Are there any yellow or red markings by any item?

Have you run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...on the hard drive? These are available at the respective websites of the hard drive manufacturers.

I myself would also consider the possibility that the CMOS battery is dying. This can result in illogical, unexplained perceived hardware problems, IME.

This is an HP systeml...yet you aren't using recovery/restore disk?

<<...the windows CD is geniune as well as being service pack 3 as well.>>

If you are using a MS Genuine XP CD...it's possible that the HP hidden partition is preventing the install, if there is one. In such case, you need to delete everything on the hard drive...as part of the install process...then partition/format/install following the onscreen instructions.

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

If you are not using a MS Genuine XP CD, disregard above and follow HP instructions for doing factory restore to defaults.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07145&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c00679533/en_us/bph07145/loc:3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3184140

Louis

#5 vhatever

vhatever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

I can't even get into windows anymore on the system. It hangs on a black screen after having failed to properly install windows previously.

I'm NOT formatting the disk. I only want to remove the old windows installed and replace it with a fresh install, which I have done plenty of times before with windows.

HP is a scumbag company that was too cheap to send out recovery/windows disks for their xp computers. They only have a destructive windows repair which is essentially a format + reinstall.

#6 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

The error message you are receiving is normally due to a hardware problem, something that is incompatible, in this case it will be because you have a SATA hard drive. Windows XP does not have the correct drivers for SATA so you either need to go into the Bios and set the hard drive to run in IDE mode or integrate the SATA drivers into a copy of your XP disc.

Slipstream XP with SP3 and SATA drivers As your disc already has SP3 you can leave that out of the process.

In this case, (as Hamluis has suggested) I would also suggest you test the hard drive, no point in continuing to try and re-install if the hard drive is faulty.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows.

When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In Windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the file you have downloaded from the links below. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.

Excelstore Use EStest CD image
Hitachi/IBM Use the Drive Fitness Test - CD Image.
Seagate, Samsung, Maxtor & Quantum Follow links for SeaTools
Western Digital

Toshiba/Fujitsu
If you have a Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

Edited by mark1956, 16 January 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#7 vhatever

vhatever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

How the heck do I get a SATA drive to run as an IDE? All I saw were options to turn off the sata adapters entirely in bios and all that did is show a bunch of "unknown" disk drives when trying to install windows from CD.

#8 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

There will be a setting in your Bios to change the setting for the mode the hard drive is running in.

This link has all the information about the problem.

Guide on XP and SATA settings in Bios

#9 vhatever

vhatever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

There will be a setting in your Bios to change the setting for the mode the hard drive is running in.

This link has all the information about the problem.

Guide on XP and SATA settings in Bios

I have no such option in my bios. Looked everywhere and ran all the "SMART" tests just to see if I could get any prompts about sata/ide.

#10 vhatever

vhatever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Umm, really weird. I looked in the CPU case and the hard drive is not a SATA. It's got IDE cables coming out of it. So apparently HP is full of crap because that's the model of computer I have and it claims it's got a SATA hard drive. Even more weird is that when I disable the SATA adapters in BIOS, it will say there are no hard drives on the computer basically. So somehow it's a SATA HDD but not a SATA HDD.... umm, wtf?

#11 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

There is a first time for everything, I've not come across a Bios before with no mode options for the hard drive, most have several to choose from including various RAID options.

I have just looked here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3184140#N402

There are no SATA drivers available for your PC, so HP obviously don't make provision for anyone who wants to run this model of PC using a Retail version of XP. The SATA drivers will be on Recovery discs which they do provide, but you have to pay for them. You will see on the above link that you can order the discs if you want them.

The only thing I can suggest is to follow the link I gave earlier to integrate the SATA drivers onto a copy of your XP disc. In that link there is a very comprehensive download with a big collection of SATA drivers, hopefully one of them will be compatible with your motherboard, but you won't know for sure unless you try it.

When you have run a Repair install the hard drive would still have the SATA drivers installed allowing the process to take place. When you run a clean install the system can only load drivers from the XP disc so without the SATA drivers it cannot connect with the hard drive. As there is clearly something wrong on the hard drive this is also causing a problem when trying to run the Repair Install.

From your post No5.

HP is a scumbag company that was too cheap to send out recovery/windows disks for their xp computers. They only have a destructive windows repair which is essentially a format + reinstall.

This is the case with the vast majority (possibly all) OEM machines not just HP. When you first started the machine from new there would have been a pop up to ask if you wish to make a set of Recovery Discs, either that or it would have been explained in the user manual as one of the jobs you should do on your first boot. I could be wrong here but that is usually the case.

Whatever you do I would advise you to run the hard drive diagnostics which I gave instructions for as this problem may all have been caused by a failing hard drive and even if you get the SATA drivers integrated onto a copy of XP the process will not succeed if the drive is faulty.

Installing Windows 7 would not have this problem as it includes SATA support so you could upgrade without a problem.

#12 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

I took a long time putting together the above post and your last one got in while I was not looking.

This new discovery certainly does confuse the issue but at least you can be sure now that you do not need SATA drivers for the IDE drive.

Therefore, I would now go ahead and perform the diagnostics and see what the result is.

#13 vhatever

vhatever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

I took a long time putting together the above post and your last one got in while I was not looking.

This new discovery certainly does confuse the issue but at least you can be sure now that you do not need SATA drivers for the IDE drive.

Therefore, I would now go ahead and perform the diagnostics and see what the result is.

Nah. I was just being an idiot. It's a sata. I was looking at the DVD.

I put the HDD in another comper. Seems to be working fine. Wonder what happens if I try to install windows now.

Edited by vhatever, 17 January 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#14 vhatever

vhatever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

Then I remove the hard drive and put it into another (different specs)computer to use as a master drive? BSOD city or something?

Edited by vhatever, 17 January 2012 - 02:15 AM.

#15 Alexander Caldwell

Alexander Caldwell

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:17 AM

As long as all of the drivers for the other computer are installed on the windows i think it should work.

I don't know though i haven't tried it before and i'm not a computer expert. It will not break your computer so i say try it. Maybe. I guess wait for someone to confirm.

Edited by Alexander Caldwell, 17 January 2012 - 03:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users