Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connectivity Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PittTheElder

PittTheElder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

Hello all,

So I've recently upgrading the hardware inside my machine (new mobo, CPU, graphics), and thankfully all that seems to have gone rather well. Fresh install of Windows 7 as well, so that should rule out any virusy/malware concerns.

However, I now am stuck with a very annoying issue: I can load some webpages at a normal rate, but others either don't load at all, or take 10+ minutes to achieve. I'm on a broadband connection, so normal loading rate is sub 1 second.

Specifically, I can load my router's connection utility page, as well as just about any Google services (Plus, Gmail, Docs, etc.). This occurs with both IE8 and Chrome (came on my Mobo driver CD). Additionally, Windows Update can seem to access it's servers, as that's working fine.

I do have a bit of a wierd network setup: given that I don't have a wired connection from this machine to our router, it's connected by CAT5 cable to my Windows XP netbook, which then shares it's wireless connection with it's LAN connection. This setup was working two nights ago before I disassebled my desktop. The netbook basically only serves as a glorified wireless card, though it comes in handy to post stuff like this.

If anyone has any idea what could be causing something like this, I'm all ears.

After letting Windows Update work it's magic, my next step is going to be to haul my desktop downstairs to bypass that extra networking nonsense, but I don't feel like doing that tonight.

Edited by PittTheElder, 15 January 2012 - 11:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Which computer from the network is having connection issues or loading problem? Are you connecting by a ISP modem and router(router model?)? I see you are using the laptop's wireless connection as a hotspot to share wireless?

Tekken

#3 PittTheElder

PittTheElder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

My (Windows 7) desktop is having the connection issues. It's also the one that got the new parts and a fresh Windows install.

My (Windows XP) laptop is connected to my desktop by a standard CAT5 cable. The laptop shares it's wireless connection with my desktop via this connection. My laptop is behaving normally.

The router providing the wireless connection was provided by the ISP, and serves as both the modem and a wireless router. Couldn't tell you the model at the moment, as I'm not at home.

Edited by PittTheElder, 16 January 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

The laptop shares it's wireless connection with my desktop via this connection

The desktop is also on wireless? Which is acquiring wifi from the laptop or directly from the ISP modem wireless router? Please post the ISP modem model and provider. Have you tried directly connecting by wired?

Tekken

#5 PittTheElder

PittTheElder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

The desktop does not have it's own wireless card, thus it was gaining it's wifi through the laptop.

However, having moved the desktop right next to my router, and plugging it in directly, it seems to have full internet access (I'm posting from it now). So I'd say my problem is solved.

I'll still have to sort out why the connection wasn't working, but that's not a Windows 7 problem by the look of it, so I'll open a new thread if neccesary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users