Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone using my wireless internet connection?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

I am using a Belkin wireless router with just the 'out of the box' settings. I am using the four 'wired' ports, and the wireless connection is just used occasionally by my Wifes netbook.

This morning I saw the wireless connection light come on the router a couple of times, so I thought I'd better see what is going on. I Googled to see how to find out who the 'intruder' is, and accessed my routers information. So under - LAN > DHCP Client List I recognize all the host names for the machines here, but the unknown one is Wii. So with my very limited knowledge of this I'm assuming that a neighbor is playing Wii internet games using my connection??? Does this make sense?

I had thought about asking the three neighbors that it might be, if they were playing Wii internet games, but then I don't want to sound 'accusing' to them, because it may well be unintentional. So I'm thinking the best thing to do is password protect my wireless connection on my router. I probably should have done that when I got the router.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

Yes, always wise to secure your wireless. It might be the Wii this time, but if they were to browse "questionable" content then they could bring trouble to your door.

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

Thanks dif, Yeah, it was one of those things Id been meaning to do, but just never 'got around to it'. I have it secured now..... guess I'm lucky that it was only accessed by a Wii game. :thumbup2:

#4 PhoenixMightier

PhoenixMightier

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

Securing your wireless is always the best bet. At my parents house, a very techy neighbor actually managed to crack their WEP password. I actually ended up going into the router and blocking his MAC addresses. Ironically 2 days later I saw a new SSID pop up in my available networks. :) Just something else you can do if needed.

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thank you for the additional information.

#6 tehcwhiz

tehcwhiz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

This happened to my neighbour and they got a +$200 charge for excess use.
And no it wan't me ;)

#7 outmeal

outmeal

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:47 AM

techwhiz - what do you mean "Excess use charge" ?? you pay by the MB or something ?

Keith1, I would get a list of the attached devices to your routers, (ethernet or wireless ) and get the Mac address. You can ID devices with it, (well sort of).
If = intruder is a geek, <@_@>
then = he will clone your own laptops mac address and connect anyways. :D lol Change the password everyweek and use WPA/WPA2 security.

if there is no password set, some devices are programmed to auto connect to "free wifis", it was probably your neighbor or a visitor with a phone , he connected and didnt even notice, or your evil nintendo wii.

Good luck.

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

Thank you for the additional information, all is well now. We did find out that our neighbor had gotten a WII and didn't realize they were using our wireless connection. I have it 'locked down' now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users