Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems installing XP SP3

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

I am trying to install XP Service Pack 3 on an older Gateway laptop, and keep getting the following error message: "Service Pack 3 setup cannot update a checked (debug) system with a free (retail) version of Service Pack 3 or vice versa."

Can someone tell me a way around this error, or send me a link to a usable and uploadable version of XP SP3? I am installing Turbo Tax to do my taxes, and it won't run the install till I have my OS updated to SP3. Thanks very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hi -
Are you installing on a genuine M/soft system. or was this a Torrent / Non Genuine install to start with ??

Thank You -

#3 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

Try this:

Go to start---> run and type regedit. Hit enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

In right-side pane look for a String value "CurrentType". Change its value to Checked and if its already set to Checked, then set it to Free and click on OK.

Quit regedit.

Restart.

Try reinstalling SP3.

#4 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

noknojon:

I'm pretty sure it's a genuine OEM installed off a Gateway CD.

Knight_of_BAAWA:

When I go to that location in regedit, in the right pane, here is what it says:

ab CurrentType Reg_SZ Uniprocessor Free

I'm sorry, I don't see anywhere to check or uncheck this function. Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks to both of you for responding so quickly. I still can't install XP SP3 at this point. Any more ideas?

Thanks Again,
Educated Guess

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html
Just a FYI - Have you read the BleepingComputer link to SP3 at the top of the XP forum (also linked above)

Thank You -

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

Is the SP3 installer named windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-debug-enu.exe? If so you downloaded the wrong package: Windows XP Service Pack 3, Checked Build

This installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers downloading to a machine intending to debug or develop software on Windows XP Service Pack 3.

You need to d/l WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe from the following link. Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers or download/install thru Windows Update.

I'm sorry, I don't see anywhere to check or uncheck this function. Am I looking in the right place?

What Knight of Baawa is suggesting is that you change the value of the string to "Checked" not to physically check or uncheck an item.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 January 2012 - 12:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users