Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet Security 2006

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adrian moore

adrian moore

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:53 AM

Ok
I have a friend who has a new sony windowx XP service pack 2 computer, all singing all dancing.
It has NIS 2006 installed, We have turned off scan outgoing emails ( as she is on a dail up connection ) and for the most part email still do not get sent, emails come in fine no probs, and some get out, but nt many.

Check all the settings ( pop and smtp etc, and i can confirm that its correct ) , I notice when sending an email, Outlook Express does its usual thing and the graphics say connecting...sending etc, but then...i see what looks like norton doing a scan, BUT it is turned OFF for outgoing emails!!!.

Outlook Express is set to hang up after sending/receiving , and notron is told not to scan outgoing and has the "hang-up" thing on ( to prevent outlook hanging up before norton has done its job i guess ) , But still most emails do not get out.

How can you totally stop norton messing around with emails?? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:21 AM

Hello adrian moore

You may have come across this site before, but there are 5 possible solutions to your prolem found here. It is off the symantec site, so it is possible that you have seen these instructions and tried them all. If that is the case then just let me know.

So, if you haven't tried all of the possible fixes with the (+) buttons, give them a go and report back if the problem is solved :thumbsup:

David

#3 I Eat N00bz

I Eat N00bz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:09 PM

Well the real issue lies that Norton has many problems associated with it period. Best bet would be to download SYMNRT from www.symantec.com/autotools

but if you insist on using Norton your best bet (since I cant remember which startup items it is) is to go to:

start>run>msconfig>click on the startup tab..then google one by one the names in your startup..just add a .exe at the end..so lets say you see SNDMON..punch that into google as SNDMON.exe..it will show you what prgram it is associated with and what it does..find the .exe associated with norton email scanner, uncheck>apply>close>reboot..and you should be good to go.

If that doesnt work then uninstall and reinstall Norton..something is not working right in the program and unfortunatly its not something you can configure.

Even though you may have disabled/turned off norton email scanner its still starting up with your system initially which is causing your emails to timeout and no be sent.

Please Drive Thru. Thank You :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users