Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and Mouse buttons unresponsive after being idle

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 merritt

merritt

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

My wife's Dell Inspiron Laptop suddenly started locking up when coming out of sleep mode. The mouse moves, but nothing else works including clicking either mouse button or any keys on the keyboard. I have changed the power settings to "Never" and now it does it after about 5 minutes if the computer is idle. As long as I am working on it, then it doesn't lockup.

Dell Inspiron 1545
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
P8700 @ 2.53 GHz
2.50 GHz , 3.46 GB of RAM
Windows XP Service Pack 3

I have already done the following:

Changed the RAM with another Inspiron 1545.
Changed all Power Settings to "Never"
Run HiJackThis (Nothing pertinent)
Run Spybot, Ad-Aware, CCleaner, & AVG (nothing pertinent)
Not installed any new hardware (other than the RAM after this started happening)

Attempted to Defrag in Safe Mode and it will not get past 1% even after 48 hours!

Thanks for any and all help!

Edited by merritt, 15 January 2012 - 10:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

Have you check device manager - properties - power management tab and allow the device to wake up this computer? Try reinstalling or look for the latest driver on Dell support site for the graphics chipset. Try removing currently used wallpaper and run a diagnostic test utility to check on your hard drive. You could also remove the recently RAM module to check on the difference.

Tekken

#3 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

As the defrag is getting stuck I would suspect a problem with the hard drive, run the following test and post the log.

1. Click on Start > type cmd in the search box and enter. At that C: prompt, type chkdsk /f exactly as written here with the gap before the slash, then hit Enter.

2. You will then see a message "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode. Chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 3 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish and may appear to freeze which is normal.)

3. When the Check Disk is done, it will finish loading Windows.

4. Go to Start > Run and type: eventvwr.msc /s , and hit Enter.
When Event Viewer opens, click on "Application", then scroll down to "Winlogon" and double-click on it.

This is the log created after running Checkdisk.
Copy and paste it into your next post.

#4 merritt

merritt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

As the defrag is getting stuck I would suspect a problem with the hard drive, run the following test and post the log...
This is the log created after running Checkdisk.
Copy and paste it into your next post.

Thanks for your help! Here's the results form event viewer:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 1/16/2012
Time: 9:11:11 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DELLRED
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 44 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 44 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 44 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.

146008915 KB total disk space.
95943900 KB in 115383 files.
49224 KB in 14158 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
254939 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
49760852 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
36502228 total allocation units on disk.
12440213 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
e0 44 02 00 10 fa 01 00 22 e4 02 00 00 00 00 00 .D......".......
c5 3f 00 00 04 00 00 00 4f 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 .?......O.......
22 e2 33 0e 00 00 00 00 ca 41 8b c2 00 00 00 00 ".3......A......
8e 14 46 17 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ..F.............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 8c 62 77 f3 00 00 00 00 .........bw.....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 98 38 07 00 b7 c2 01 00 ..6......8......
00 00 00 00 00 70 f3 df 16 00 00 00 4e 37 00 00 .....p......N7..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

I would still run the Dell diagnostic utility for the hard drive status.

Tekken

#6 merritt

merritt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

I would still run the Dell diagnostic utility for the hard drive status.

Windows XP does not have the power management option in the Device manager. I used the command prompt and powercfg to check a few things. I have not run the Dell Utility yet, but it is next on my list.

Thanks for your help.
John

#7 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:17 AM

The Disk Check has come up clean and no sign of any bad sectors. The Dell diagnostics may spot some problems but I would suggest you run the manufacturer's diagnostics which will perform a more thorough test. Follow this guide:

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows.

When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In Windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the file you have downloaded from the links below. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.

Excelstore Use EStest CD image
Hitachi/IBM Use the Drive Fitness Test - CD Image.
Seagate, Samsung, Maxtor & Quantum Follow links for SeaTools
Western Digital

Toshiba/Fujitsu
If you have a Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

Attempted to Defrag in Safe Mode and it will not get past 1% even after 48 hours!

Hi merritt -
For future purposes please use chkdsk /r as this includes the F and R functions (to diagnose and repair) -
Also Defrag should be run in normal mode usually -
Do you actually know how much Free Space there is available ?? (Go to Defrag, click analyse and it will tell you there)
If it will not even run analyse, you may have a corrupted dll in the defrag program - Please download Auslogics Defrag program (sorry I am missing that link. just Google it)
Your specs show there is more than about 15% free space so you should be able to Defrag - Auslogics should only take a few mins -

Thank You -

#9 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

I would suggest you run the System File Checker before using Defrag. (I meant to mention this earlier)

It is always better to check for damaged or missing files before defragging.

Run the system file checker as follows.
Click on Start > Run > Type cmd in the Run box and hit Enter. At the Command Prompt type sfc /scannow (you must include the gap before the /) and hit Enter. Let the process run to completion. You will be asked to insert the XP disc, please do so.

If it shows that it found errors and was unable to repair then run the routine at least three more times, rebooting after each run. If it still shows it has not been able to complete a repair then post the log as follows:

To find SFC report in XP. In XP it does not create a log just a single report for any/every file replaced and one to say the scan finished.
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | Click OK |
Click on System in the left hand pane.
Double click on the Windows File Protection entry in the right hand pane. Copy and paste it into your next post.

#10 merritt

merritt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hi merritt -
For future purposes please use chkdsk /r as this includes the F and R functions (to diagnose and repair) -
Also Defrag should be run in normal mode usually -
Do you actually know how much Free Space there is available ?? (Go to Defrag, click analyse and it will tell you there)
If it will not even run analyse, you may have a corrupted dll in the defrag program - Please download Auslogics Defrag program (sorry I am missing that link. just Google it)
Your specs show there is more than about 15% free space so you should be able to Defrag - Auslogics should only take a few mins -

Thank You -

Hi All,

Instead of replying to everyone individually (and thank you all for the help), I am treating this as a general reply to all:

I ran chkdsk /r last week before I even posted this.
I tried Defrag in normal mode first, and then switched to Safe Mode when it didn't work.
As a side note, the original issue of locking up (other than Mouse movement) happens regardless of normal mode or any of the sleep modes.

I have run the dell diagnostic utility, and here are the Results:

Test Results: Fail
Error Code 0f00:1332
Msg: DISK - Block 161014518: Interrupt Request (IRQ) not sent in time
Msg: DISK - Block 161014518: Interrupt Request (IRQ) not sent in time

Msg: DISK - Block 161014519: Interrupt Request (IRQ) not sent in time

Msg: DISK - Block 161014520: Interrupt Request (IRQ) not sent in time

Error Code 0f00:0132
Msg: DISK - Interrupt Request (IRQ) not sent in time

I will burn the iso and run the other diagnostic tool later tonight.
I will run the Auslogics defrag tool next.
As far as sfc - I will have to find my XP disk. Haven't needed it since I bought the laptop, but it is around somewhere. May be tomorrow before I get all of this done.

Thanks Again!

#11 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Looking at the Dell diagnostics your disk is failing.

The manufacturer's diagnostics will more than likely confirm this. If it does then there is no point running anything else as your disk will need to be replaced.

Make sure you back up all your important data while you still can.

#12 merritt

merritt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Quick update - The diagnostic tool gave me what I needed to know, and the problem was that it was a bad hard-drive. I ran the SeaTools for windows and it confirmed it. Interestingly, it recommended that I try SeaTools for DOS, but there seems to be a glitch as it won't run. After some research on that, it seems as though Seagate has had some ongoing issues with the DOS version. My best guess is that it needs to be on a re-writable disk, and I burned my iso on a CD-R. Anyway, I was finally able to finish double checking my backup and I'm now contemplating whether to go with a MacBook Air, iPad 3, or another laptop. I'm leaning iPad 3 and giving my wife my old laptop :thumbsup:

Thanks for everyone's help, but I think that this one can be closed.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

, I was finally able to finish double checking my backup and I'm now contemplating whether to go with a MacBook Air, iPad 3, or another laptop. I'm leaning iPad 3 and giving my wife my old laptop

LOL! :hysterical: Make sure you replace the bad drive first.

Tekken

#14 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:51 AM

Your welcome :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users