Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not recognizing Safe Mode, or anything for that matter...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pdj1373

pdj1373

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Good afternoon....

I have a Toshiba laptop (Satellite Pro) with Windows XP. My daughter fell on it and there was a beep. However, it worked after that. Then, I stepped away to do some things and it went to the screensaver, hibernated, and never came back. I can't get past the black screen that has the options of restarting in Safe Mode or other modes. I have selected each option and they all send me back to the black screen and questions. I know nothing about how to fix a computer and have been looking up things on the internet & none work...ie: F4, F8, F12. I even got to the BIOS screen, which I don't know how I did (F1 OR F2, I think!?!), but I have no idea what to do once there. Should I change anything on either of those (BIOS) screens? Please give me some advice and help to fix my laptop. I cannot afford to take it anywhere to get it checked out. I have no start up or reboot disks (the computer was given to me about 9 mons ago). If it is a virus, how can I get into the computer to do anything??? Thank you sooo much in advance for your time and cooperation.

Hope You Can Help,

P...<3<3<3

P.S: I also added a program (Belkin wireless usb adapter), but that was about a week prior to this incident. I also tried to add an iphone, but a prompt came up and said it might not work properly if I do, so I didn't add that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Try running hard drive Diagnostics

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools Links to Manufacturers Utilities
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

You can ID the drive maker in the Bios (F1) then download the proper bootable diagnostics for your brand of drive.
Pressing F12 when the Toshiba logo appears should take you to the Boot Device menu, then choose the CD/DVD drive.

If you have no luck try the Seagate Diags, SeaTools for DOS
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatooldreg&vgnextoid=480bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

And report back

Damage to the drive is one possibility and damage to the electronics is another that is harder to test for.

What model of Satellite Pro is it? For example S300-EZ1511 is different than S300-EZ1512 therefore it helps to know.

Thanks
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 15 January 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 pdj1373

pdj1373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Thanks sooo much for taking the time to help. I'm still confused, this is like a foreign language to me!!! I can't burn any of those links to a disk. I don't even have money to buy a disk!!! I don't know what model it is or how to find that info. =( Thanks again.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

The Seagate link has complete directions on how to create the Diagnostic disk since determining that the drive is good or bad is important.
You will need a disc. A blank CD should be pretty cheap. Hopefully the computer you are using now does have a CD or DVD writer in it. The drawer should say.

On the bottom of the computer is a label that should have
Model number
Model part number
Serial number

I have accumulated a fair amount of maintenance manuals for various laptops. With luck yours will be in there.

You will do better to make no changes until what has happened can be diagnosed.

For example Bios settings do not change themselves and so if they were working they should not be changed.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users