Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista does not boot

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 alpop

alpop

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Happy new year and thanks for reading (and hopefully responding to) my problem. I have an hp 6500 with vista on 64 bits. About a week ago it started acting weird - it was turning off by itself. This happened a few times and now it doesn't start at all, when I press the ON button, the button lits and there is the noise of the hard drive spinning (I think) but the operating system does not load and there is nothing on the screen. I tried any F keys but nothing, I also inserted the recovery disk hopping to boot from the cd but still nothing on the screen. Any response is greately appreciated.
Thank you.
alpop

Edited by hamluis, 06 April 2012 - 05:33 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Do you mean there is absolutely nothing on the screen? If so, the first thing you want to try is switching the display with another just to make sure it isn't a bad display. Other than that, my first thoughts (in order) would be your power supply, ram, hard drive.

#3 alpop

alpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yes, there is absolutely nothing on the screen. I'll try another monitor. Thanks.

#4 alpop

alpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

It's not the monitor. What should I do to eliminate one by one from your suggestions: powes supply, memory ,hdd ?
Thanks.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

Unfortunately the only way to test the power supply is by replacing it. As for the other two, you will need to be able to boot to a cd / dvd. Test a bootable disc now. If you can't boot to it, try the power supply. If you can, then you can run the next two tests....

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

To check the hd, go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download their diagnostic utility. Burn it to cd and run it.

#6 alpop

alpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

I tried the diagnostic tools for memory and hdd and still nothing on the screen (the cd is not spinning all the way). When I turn the pc on, the three fans start spinning but the hdd does not; when I insert a cd, the light from the cd-rom unit goes on for a few seconds while the cd begins to spin but after that it goes off and the cd stops spinning. Next step : power sourse?
Thanks.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

Remove one stick of RAM module alternately to check on the shutting down/restarting problem. You could borrow another good PSU also to check on the difference. Reseat all components, connections and make sure they are well seated. Processor and heatsink would also need to be check.

Tekken

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

Yes, still sounds like the Power Supply to me.

#9 alpop

alpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

From a working pc I took the hdd and put it on the sick one and the same thing, the screen remains black, ther was no OS loading. Also, I installed the hdd from the sick pc into the good one and the OS tried to start but I got a message that said that the computer couldn't start and a Start-up Repair window popped up and begun checking for errors; after a couple of minutes and two restarts it said that "windows cannot repair the computer automatically; if you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer." I indeed attached recently two ipods to this computer, might this have caused this problems to my pc ? So far I know that there is something wrong with the hdd and, as you said, with the power source or memory. I was thinking to connect the sick hdd as a slave to the good pc and try to see if I can access the info on it, or at least reformat it. Do you think it's possible what I just said? Thanks.

Edited by alpop, 16 January 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#10 alpop

alpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

I connected the sick hdd as a second hdd to the good pc; in bios it was seen as unknown disk (without any capacity)and also in windows was not seen, but after I went back in bios and enabled the corresponding sata port where the sick hdd was connected, and wait for the os to boot, the windows saw it and I was able to access the info on it and copy it onto the good hdd. I tried to reformat this sick hdd but I couldn't. I also inserted the recovery disc and took out the good hdd with the hope of reformating it but I was not able. How can I reformat this hdd and reinstal vista? Thanks.

Edited by alpop, 16 January 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

I tried to reformat this sick hdd but I couldn't

Did you try to format the drive as a secondary drive in disk management or reconnected back the drive to its tower and use the recovery disc?

Tekken

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Doesn't seem like the computer is getting to POST but we do know that the fans are working and that the CDROM is getting power. Either there isn't enough power coming from the Power Supply to power on the motherboard or the motherboard is the problem. The Hard drive is spinning and readable on another system. It sure would be nice to swap in a known good power supply to see what happens.

Regards,
Brooks

#13 alpop

alpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

I tried to reformat this sick hdd but I couldn't

Did you try to format the drive as a secondary drive in disk management or reconnected back the drive to its tower and use the recovery disc?

In the good pc I took out the good hdd and connect the bad hdd and tried to boot with the recovery disc inside, but nothing. I just looked in disc management but I cannot find any option to format a disc (this good pc has xp on it).

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Connect the drive again on the working PC as a secondary drive and make sure it is recognized where the Master/Primary drive is your booting OS. The questioned drive being slave as data drive. Once booted in Windows, right-click the drive and choose Manage... Under disk management tool, check the file type, status of the drive. Can you right-click from the drive and see the Format option? Artrooks also suggested a possible fix for another working PSU on the sick PC.

Tekken

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

IMO: If the computer isn't progressing to Power On Self Test (POST) then the hard drive isn't necessarily the problem.

If a power supply swap is out of the question then there are a few more options to try:

• Disconnect everything from the tower except the monitor, mouse, and keyboard (that includes USB printers, cameras, external hard drives, etc.). Unplug the power cord and press the power button for 15 seconds. Reconnect the cord and try to start the computer.
  • Inspect each capacitor on the motherboard (small vertical cylinders) for obvious damage (swelling, leaking). Carefully unplug the 20/24 pin power supply connector from the motherboard and inspect each side for signs of a "short" (melted and darkened plastic).
  • Temporarily remove any extra PCI cards such as modems or sound cards. More than once I've seen a "bad modem" prevent the computer from booting.
  • Remove and reseat the video card and memory.
  • Reassemble and test the computer by plugging in and powering on.
  • If the above steps don't work then unplug the A/C cord again from the tower then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Locate the three pin CMOS Jumper on the motherboard (consult your computer documentation) usually located near the case pin connection strip and labeled "CMOS." It is usually jumpered 1-2 (default) . Move the jumper to pins 2-3 for 20-30 minutes. This will reset BIOS to factory default. It's helpful to remove the circular lithium CMOS battery at the same time.
Posted Image
  • Replace the battery and set the CMOS jumper back to pins 1-2. Test the computer by plugging in and powering on.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users