Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get past Black Safe Mode Question screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pdj1373

pdj1373

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Good afternoon....

I have a Toshiba laptop (Satellite Pro) with Windows XP. I can't get past the black screen that has the options of restarting in Safe Mode or other modes. I have selected each option and they all send me back to the black screen and questions. I know nothing about how to fix a computer and have been looking up things on the internet & none work...ie: F4, F8, F12. I even got to the BIOS screen, which I don't know how I did (F1 OR F2, I think!?!), but I have no idea what to do once there. Please give me some advice and help to fix my laptop. I cannot afford to take it anywhere to get it checked out. I have no start up or reboot disks. The computer was given to me about 9 mons ago. Thank you sooo much in advance for your time and cooperation.

Hope you can help,

P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

What led up to the problem?

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 pdj1373

pdj1373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

My daughter fell on it and there was a beep. But it worked after that. Then, I stepped away to do some things and it went to the screensaver, hibernated, and never came back.

Edited by pdj1373, 15 January 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#4 pdj1373

pdj1373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

I also added a program (Belkin wireless usb adapter), but that was about a week prior. I tired to add my iphone, but a prompt came up and said it might not work properly if I do, so I didn't add that.

#5 pdj1373

pdj1373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

***tried

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

If there was potentially physical damage to the unit it's tough to diagnose on the web.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users