Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual monitors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 georgeriley

georgeriley

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

what hard ware would i need to run 2 monitors?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr.Ninja

Mr.Ninja

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

You would need either a VGA or DVI conector. You should probably have one if you bought a laptop or desktop.
If life gives you a melon... you might be dyslexic.

I'm a ninja, you see me somewhere in the for-

Picture this, you're on an empty beach, scanning it, and you think Wow, this would be a great place for a ninja vaca-

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

A lot depends on what you have currently? On a laptop, it would have to have an external video port of some kind (vga, DVI, display port, or HDMI) if you don't Ive seen some USB adaptors, no idea how well they would work however. On a desktop, you would need two output ports of some sort. Some integrated video has support for dual monitors, but not many, and almost never from a store bought computer. However, its usually fairly easy to add a dedicated graphics card that would allow dual monitor setup. What kind of computer are you running right now, and what kind of hardware do you have?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 georgeriley

georgeriley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

the pc is EI SYSTEM 5030 MOTHERBOARD SIS-651(SOCKET478) HARD DRIVE FUJITSU MAXTOR GRAPHICS DELL E153FP I have attatched a image of the back of my desktop

Attached Files

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

what kind of computer is it? EI isnt a brand Im aware of. In any case, that computer does not have the hardware to run dual monitors, you would have to add a dedicated graphics card. Im guessing (it is just a an educated guess) that that system has an AGP slot, which means you need to find an AGP video card to work in it. However, any modern made AGP video cards are going to require a power supply upgrade-you would have to find an older one, probably from that era to work in that system without a PSU upgrade. I would check ebay and local computer shops. If you can find an old one, that would be the way to go-if you have to upgrade the PSU I think If I was you I would save the money and buy/build a new system.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 georgeriley

georgeriley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

ok thanks for your honesty thats what i will do

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

i use to have a agp video card with one vga out ,and it used a "Y" adapter to 2 vga ,i hooked it to 2 monitors ,the video card supported this function,cant remember exact model but the make PNY ,not all single vga video card do ,so you would have to make sure of that before buying it,here is a picture of simular one but it has the 2 connections ,also depending on what operating system you have you will need software to make it useful
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-S-Video-Graphics-VCGFX522PEB/dp/B001E42QGM

Edited by caperjac, 17 January 2012 - 06:55 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Those splitters do work with most cards, however only with limited results-usually the only thing you can do is clone your monitor (the same thing appears on both screens) you cannot extend your desktop onto the second monitor.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users