Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help To Remove Stubborn Virus/Rootkit

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Geraldine H

Geraldine H

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

Hi

A few weeks ago my computer got hit by a number of viruses. One of the viruses hid all the programs and desk top. I ran Combofix which kept hanging. Eventually I managed to remove most with Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware. I was aware that something was not right because my internet kept getting intersepted. The computer operated slowly by was 'working'. Now I have been hit again including partial desktop removal. Initially I wasn't able to run SuperAntiSpyware as it was hidden. However, I manage to run it from the Progams folder. It is finding viruses and says it is removing them but there is no change to the 'damaged' desktop and program functions. Please help. Thank you in advance for reading this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 36,392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hi Geraldine H and :welcome: to the Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum,

I am Oh My! and I am here to help you!

I ask that you refrain from running tools other than those I suggest to you while I am cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.

Please perform all steps in the order received and do not proceed if you need clarification.

Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems please stop and tell me about it. When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide you with detailed suggestions for prevention.

In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Watch this topic. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be advised when I respond to your topic by email.

After 5 days if your topic is not replied I we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.

I would also like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please be courteous and appreciative for the assistance provided!

Again I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so. Your computer fix will be based on the current condition of your computer! Any changes might delay my ability to help you.

==========

Please take note:

• If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, I would appreciate you letting me know.
  • If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and I will guide you.
  • Please tell me if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • If you are unable to perform the steps I have recommended please try one more time and if unsuccessful alert us of such and I will design an alternate means of obtaining the necessary information.
  • If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • Upon completing the steps below I will review your topic an do my best to resolve your issues.
  • If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
  • Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.
I need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

I also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner.

Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.

Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

===================================================

Post Previous Combofix Log

--------------------

I would like to see the previous Combofix log to determine what has been removed from your machine already. Please copy/paste that information in your reply. The file should be located at:

• C:\combofix.txt

===================================================

Things I would like to see in your next reply :thumbsup2:

• DDS log
  • GMER log
  • Combofix.txt

Regards,
Oh My!
Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#3 Geraldine H

Geraldine H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:16 AM

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I was so stressed waiting for a reply that I have done something really stupid and tried to reinstall Vista. Now my machine doesn't work at all!

Thanks Geraldine

#4 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 36,392 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi Geraldine,

I can certainly understand how frustrating computer issues are and that is why we are here to help. I have had (more than) my fair share of frustrations and :oopsign:
There are things we can do so don't be too alarmed. :thumbup2: No need to panic just yet!

I need you to explain what you mean by "doesn't work at all." Can you describe exactly what happens (i.e. you hear 3 beeps, gets to a black screen with information on it but hangs, gets stuck at the Windows screen, etc.)

Also, can you tell me whether or not you have the Vista Installation Disk or was Vista preinstalled on the computer?

Oh My

Edited by Oh My, 18 January 2012 - 12:51 PM.

Gary

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#5 Geraldine H

Geraldine H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

I installed Vista and none of the drivers work eg graphics, wireless etc. I have actually taken it to a shop now so they can install Windows 7. I should have waited for your reply but I was worried it would be impossible to remove the Rootkit and I would have to reinstall anyway. Luckily, I backup everyday using Mozy.com. Nevertheless, it takes days to restore the data from the remote server.

Thank you for trying to help me. I very much appreciate experts like you.

#6 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 36,392 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

No problem. Good luck!

Oh My!
Gary

#7 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users