Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent whining from top left of new laptop. Should I return it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 marco772

marco772

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hi,

A few days ago I purchased an HP Pavillion G series laptop (i3-370M, 6GB Ram, 500 GB HD).

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-1247sa-15-6-laptop-red-11290986-pdt.html

On the second day I became aware of a very irritating, fairly low noise level but quite high pitched, whining/whistling eminating from the top left vent.

It's not a constant noise but it's fairly consistent. It generally goes for a few seconds and then pauses a second or two and starts again with the occassional longer burst thrown in!

If I lift or tilt the laptop, while it's whining, then it stops immediately but the starts again seconds later.

I'd imagine it's something to do with the fans but it doesn't strike me a noise I should really be expected to tolerate . I can hear the soft, constant "whooshing" of the fans but it's barely noticable. The whining, however, really gets on my nerves and, even with background noise on (ie, my tv) I become very aware of it to the point I have to sleep the laptop.

I don't think it's a heating issue as it kicks in within minutes of bootup.

Being new to laptops I'm not sure what this could be but, having spent 400 on it am naturally concerned as to whether this needs addressing and whether I should return it as it's within its 21 days for an exchange. My only concern is, if they listen in the shop they won't be able to hear it as I use it in a near silent environment at home. Also, if it IS deemed to be fan noise of some sort, would this be viewed as a fault or normal noise?

I realise such things are difficult to diagnose without hearing them, but any educated opinions on this will be read with much interest.

Thank you for reading,
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

Obviously without hearing the noise I would take it back and explain to them the situation, there is a good chance they will not even start it up to listen and just give you a replacement.

If you do get a replacement and it is the same, then you will know it is normal. If it is better, than you know ther was a tiny problem with maybe the air flow in the other one.

You really have nothing to loose by asking.

jodav :)

#3 marco772

marco772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

Thanks, sounds logical enough.

I was just wondering if such a noise is considered to be acceptable to manufacturer's/retailers.

In all fairness, I have pretty sensitive hearing and I do get very precious about expensive purchases! But, still, an annoying noise is an annoying noise.

I would assume it shouldn't so it and I think it IS to do with the airflow somehow. Were it not for the whistling, it would be near silent! What a pain...

Thanks again,

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users