Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get new video card working

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SpceSpff

SpceSpff

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:51 AM

I have an 8 year old HP Pavilion desktop. The video card recently burned out (Radeon X800GT), so I purchased a HIS Radeon HD4670 card for an upgrade to keep this computer going for a couple more years. I can not get the card to work though. I think I am having a driver issue. The monitor is plugged in to the card and the fan runs, but the computer doesn't seem to recognize the card. Example- I try to load World of Warcraft and the launcher tells me no display device detected and the game closes. Driver does not show up in device manager. Also, I don't seem to get the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) to load. I have tried all sorts of drivers and driver wipes, registry cleaners, defrags, do it all in safe mode, nothing seems to work. Am I going to have to try loading each driver one by one, off AMD's site? If so, can someone give me a step by step process to make sure the drivers are getting installed correctly? THANKS!!!!! And no, I can't afford to buy a new computer :)

Computer info (not at home, this is from memory)

Pavilion 061 mobo
430w power supply
AGP slot, card fits obviously
2GB RAM
Windows XP Home edition, 32 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

have you uninstalled the previous drivers first? I would start by removing all ATI drivers from your system, you should be able to do this from the add/remove programs in control panel, and then downloading the latest drivers from here (dont use the driver disc that came with your video card) Also, what brand and model number is your power supply? While the specifications state a minimum of a 400 watt PSU for that video card, that really is a minimum-and if its a weak 430 watt PSU it could be causing the problem.

Edited by the_patriot11, 15 January 2012 - 03:02 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 SpceSpff

SpceSpff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Thermaltake is the brand of power supply. I think I have removed all the drivers. That's what seems to be my problem though. Clearly add/remove doesnt remove all traces of former drivers. And I have gotten current drivers from both the AMD website and the HIS website.

I have seen something online about disabling audio on the video card? UAA or UUA something?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

I may be wrong, but to disable audio on an ATI card you have to have CCC working, and I doubt its the problem anyway. Have you tried the card in another computer?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Can you post the model number of the power supply?

#6 SpceSpff

SpceSpff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

I don't have another computer to try at the moment.

Power supply is Thermaltake TR2-430.

About CCC, isn't that a standalone thing? Shouldn't I be able to get that installed and working totally separate?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

What is the exact model number of the video card?

#8 SpceSpff

SpceSpff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

Per newegg, where I bought it.

HIS IceQ H467QS1GHA Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Your power supply is not on the recommend list that AMD has set up. I would get a newer power supply. http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Pages/listing.aspx

#10 SpceSpff

SpceSpff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

You think the power supply is the problem? I would be willing to get a new one if I knew that was the problem. Could I try getting the card to work with the fan unplugged? I just don't want to spend more money if it won't be the fix.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

<<About CCC, isn't that a standalone thing? Shouldn't I be able to get that installed and working totally separate?>>

FWIW: Generally...MS.NET 2.0 must be installed, then you install the CCC/drivers.

Did you not get a drivers CD with this card? Everything should be on it.

Louis

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

Leave the fan plugged in, and the installer will install .Net if its missing

#13 SpceSpff

SpceSpff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:34 AM

Microsoft.NET? According to my add/remove programs, I have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.

I got the CD. The included drivers did not work.

Is there a comprehensive step by step instruction anywhere on how to install, when you are having such issues? To wipe old drivers, clean registry, etc.

Edited by SpceSpff, 17 January 2012 - 03:35 AM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

You can have a read here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users