Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 5520

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mojomidget

mojomidget

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

I have stumbled upon an Acer Aspire 5520 notebook with windows xp. The cd/dvd disk drive ejects when the button is physically pushed. But will not operate when a disks is inserted. In the device manager NO cd/dvd drive is listed, nor under My Computer. I've looked on the Acer website for drivers or specifications, but failed to find anything. I ran AIDA64 and it found nothing either...I'm almost sure the drive works but needs the drivers installed. Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

Optical drives use generic drivers.

Reboot the system...if it's a driver issue, then the drivers will install automatically.

If the drive still remains problematical...it's not a driver issue.

http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=57

Louis

#3 mojomidget

mojomidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

The drive "operates" when a disk is inserted...it spins and I hear it trying to read the disk...its just not showing up as a drive. If that makes sense? I think someone formatted the HD on this machine and reinstalled windows...could it be that vista was perviously installed and now that xp is on it the components don't interchange? Shooting in the dark here...I guess I'm just being stubborn I don't want to admitt that its a hardware issue...

#4 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

Does it show up in the BIOS ?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Is it reflected in Disk Management?

MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Louis

#6 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

The Acer website has both XP and Vista drivers available for your model laptop, so there shouldn't be any issues with driver compatibility, so long as you downloaded drivers for the correct OS.

Because you say that the drive doesn't show up in devices or my computer, it could possibly be that the cable connecting the optical drive to the MOBO may not be plugged in. Have you opened up the laptop to check that it is connected securely? It should have 2 cables, one for power, and one connecting it to the MOBO.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users